Screen sharing with an elderly parent

I occasionally need to help my dad with computer issues by having him share his screen with me. Sometimes it’s just OS related, but other times it’s to help with specific apps. It seems like the need for this remote operation has increased lately, and now it’s to the point where it would be extremely helpful if I could just control his computer remotely at any time without having to either have him invite me or have me request that he share his screen with me. I have a home network that allows me to remotely operate an iMac I have in my basement by simply clicking on a “screen sharing” button when I select that computer in the Finder from the list of volumes on my network. I’m wondering if I can setup my dad’s iMac in some way so that I have similar unfettered access to my dad’s computer, yet over the internet. Is this feasible? If so, would someone please share how that would be achieved? Gratitude in advance for your help. Much appreciated.

Posted on May 14, 2024 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2024 1:23 PM

Look at setting up TailScale.com on your elderly parent's Mac and on your Mac.

TailScale.com will make it look like both you and your elderly parent are on the same local area network, and then you will be able initiate screen sharing from your Mac.

You will need to also configure your elderly parent's Mac to enable screen sharing in System Settings -> General -. Sharing -> Screen Sharing

And you will of course need to know your elderly parent's username and password so you can connect as them.

Another approach is to use Team Viewer, but if you make a lot of connections, Team Viewer thinks you are a commercial user and wants you to pay for the service.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2024 1:23 PM in response to Terry Coolidge

Look at setting up TailScale.com on your elderly parent's Mac and on your Mac.

TailScale.com will make it look like both you and your elderly parent are on the same local area network, and then you will be able initiate screen sharing from your Mac.

You will need to also configure your elderly parent's Mac to enable screen sharing in System Settings -> General -. Sharing -> Screen Sharing

And you will of course need to know your elderly parent's username and password so you can connect as them.

Another approach is to use Team Viewer, but if you make a lot of connections, Team Viewer thinks you are a commercial user and wants you to pay for the service.

Screen sharing with an elderly parent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.