How can I drag & drop a file without making a copy?

I’m using my old MBP again and can’t figure out how I can just move a file without making doubles and wasting space. When I grab a few files, I then have to go back and delete, which can get confusing and time consuming.

I may be lazy but I really don’t think I should have to use 2 hands with command to do such a basic task.

Also when I do that, I get a warning it’s deleting from my iCloud. No idea why that happens.

I like move lots of pics and files quickly with drag & drop. There has to be a setting I can change but can’t find. Anyone?

Windows

Posted on May 14, 2024 5:11 PM

1 reply

May 14, 2024 7:00 PM in response to peter4good

If you are moving files between different file systems (say an external disk), then a copy of the file is made.

You can hold the Command key while dragging and it will be copied to the other file system, then be removed from its original location.

If you are moving a file in the same file system then it should be removed from the folder it is in, and placed in the destination folder, UNLESS...

UNLESS the file you are moving, or the folder the file resides in, has permissions set that keep you from either moving the file out of that folder, or prevent you from deleting that file. Then you are just going to get a copy of the file.

How can I drag & drop a file without making a copy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.