How to delete an obsolete Apple ID on a MacPro 13 inch?

My wife setup the MacPro in 2012 utilizing her Earthlink.net account for the Apple ID. She switched her mail

to Google in 2017. However, the MacPro with FaceTime attempts to utilize the old Apple ID. Therefore, I would like to delete the old Earthlink.net Apple ID permanently. Please provide a procedure. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 16, 2024 8:42 AM

2 replies

May 16, 2024 8:55 AM in response to RGM3675

If you just need to change the Apple ID email address to use the Google email as your Apple ID, then you can change it using this support article.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you no longer have the password to that Apple ID, you will need to gain access the account. This can be done using one of these 3 methods:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

There are steps that Apple provides to delete an Apple ID and all of its data, but you will not want to delete an Apple ID using this method if it is currently signed into any device, as you will then no longer be able to remove it.

May 16, 2024 9:05 AM in response to RGM3675

When she changed to the new email address did she create a brand new Apple account (not the way to do it), or did she simply change the address? I am guessing the former because it otherwise should have automatically changed the address to the new one. If she created a new account she will need to use the information for the old account to remove it.

The other things to do is go into Settings for the Apple ID and see if Facetime is using the old account. It is possible to have a different ID set on a device for particular services.

Finally, also check what's in Contacts.

This could turn into a long, multi-post solution depending upon your exact situation.

How to delete an obsolete Apple ID on a MacPro 13 inch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.