Formulae changing when pasting numbers sheets to a new file

Hi all, I am new to spreadsheets in the Apple environment and really want to use numbers on my MacBook, .

I have one initial challenge to overcome.

Please excuse me if my terminology is incorrect, I will do my best...

Let's say I have a numbers file called "2022":

In this file:

Sheet "1" has numeric data

Sheet "2" finds the appropriate data from sheet 1 data and processes it, eg addition, percentages ect

Let's say I have a second identical file called "2023" with different data.

This file has sheets called "3" and "4" and functions the same.

Now, I want to combine the two files to make one with four sheets.

I want to combine the two files to further data analysis.

I can not select two sheets at once in numbers, so I paste sheet 3 into the first file (2022), no problem.

I paste sheet 4 into the file 2022, but the formulae change to pick up data from sheet one, instead of sheet 3.

Is this due to something I am doing wrong?

Is there a way to combine files that keeps the formulae mining data from the correct sheet?

Thanks

MacBook Air (M2, 2023)

Posted on May 17, 2024 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2024 5:49 AM

You really shouldn't have to rewrite all the formulas. Transferring it as a single sheet should work. The only formulas that might/will break when trying to make it one sheet would be INDIRECT formulas but even those will recover (I think) after pasting into the new document, splitting it into separate sheets, and getting the sheet names back to what they were.

1. In the old document, cut/paste (not copy/paste) tables to get them all onto one sheet. All cell references in formulas must be to cells on this one sheet. Any that are not will become messed up in step 3. Everything should still work as it did unless you have INDIRECT formulas that referred to one of these tables (but don't worry).
  2. Copy the sheet (Right click on the sheet tab and Copy Sheet)
  3. Paste it into the other document (Right click on a sheet tab and Paste Sheet)
  4. Create new sheets so you can split it back up into the original individual sheets
  5. Cut/paste (not copy/paste) tables to the other sheets
  6. Rename the sheets as necessary. If you have INDIRECT formulas, this is likely an important step to getting it all to work again.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2024 5:49 AM in response to JonathanVMH

You really shouldn't have to rewrite all the formulas. Transferring it as a single sheet should work. The only formulas that might/will break when trying to make it one sheet would be INDIRECT formulas but even those will recover (I think) after pasting into the new document, splitting it into separate sheets, and getting the sheet names back to what they were.

1. In the old document, cut/paste (not copy/paste) tables to get them all onto one sheet. All cell references in formulas must be to cells on this one sheet. Any that are not will become messed up in step 3. Everything should still work as it did unless you have INDIRECT formulas that referred to one of these tables (but don't worry).
  2. Copy the sheet (Right click on the sheet tab and Copy Sheet)
  3. Paste it into the other document (Right click on a sheet tab and Paste Sheet)
  4. Create new sheets so you can split it back up into the original individual sheets
  5. Cut/paste (not copy/paste) tables to the other sheets
  6. Rename the sheets as necessary. If you have INDIRECT formulas, this is likely an important step to getting it all to work again.

May 17, 2024 6:05 AM in response to JonathanVMH

Yeah, Apple could have made this easier. What you are doing sounds like it should work but, unfortunately, it does not. The usual way to transfer from one to another is to put all related things into one sheet so the formulas refer only to cells on the same sheet. Copy/paste the sheet to the new document then split it up again.

It would be nice if we could select multiple sheets and copy/paste them together or if we could import an entire document into another one. Lacking that, the method I mentioned above is the only other way I see that it can be done. In general, a document could have sheet 1 referring to cells on sheet 2 and sheet 2 referring to cells on sheet 1 so there is no way of copy/pasting them one at a time without something breaking.

May 19, 2024 6:39 AM in response to JonathanVMH

Strange. I cannot get it to do that. I am not on the latest version, though. Maybe they messed something up recently or it is related to whatever code is different for the M# processor. I am using version 13.1 on an Intel Mac. You can report this as a bug using the menu item Numbers->Provide Numbers Feedback. I would report it too except I can't duplicate the problem.

You might have better luck if you turned off the Numbers preference "Use header names as labels". I tried it on and off with no issues either way but that's the only thing I can think of that might be causing it (though it should not be). I dislike that feature anyway because it often makes formulas hard to understand and usually creates a weird mix of named references and normal col-row references in formulas.

Please see if turning off "use header names as labels" fixes the problem. Other people need to transfer sheets like you are trying to do and now our only method of doing it has gone wacko.

May 18, 2024 11:22 AM in response to Badunit

Thanks again for your generous response. It’s much appreciated.

When I do step one and “preserve column” is not ticked, the table loses its correct cell reference and so does not find the data it should refer to and SUMIFS gives zero in every cell.

When I have “preserve column” ticked, the correct reference is preserved after moving the table (step one) and also after then moving the sheet (step three). It’s a lot of cells to do but it’s just tick the box, so thankfully I don’t need to re-write the cell formulae.

Formulae changing when pasting numbers sheets to a new file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.