Zoom Error Code 1132 Hidden File Remains After Uninstall

My Zoom account was locked out because someone reported my account to Administration. Since Zoom is trying to avoid becoming more of a social networking tool and trying to keep their app streamlined for a business demographic first and foremost, they are systematically banning users with a claim against them before any type of investigation (as they don't have the staff to handle that burdening workload). It is only after an filing an appeal that evidence is searched for.

It can take a month to receive answers back from their team, and in the meantime, not only your user login account, but your hardware is blacklisted on their servers.

Repeated uninstalls, new accounts, etc, nothing works to ever use any other account (even one which is in good standing) on that device ever again.

I've seen many different workarounds here and on Reddit, but none of them mention that Zoom leaves behind one, strange file: Zoom.tbd (as in Text-based Dynamic Library or To Be Determined)

After uninstalling Zoom (through the Uninstaller in the drop down menu inside the Zoom application itself) there was a hidden file remaining in the Library directory. I did a search for "Zoom" and I clicked Command, Option, Period keys (simultaneously) to show hidden files and folders, and this file popped up.

I opened it with Text editor showed the uuid as the third line in the file. Now, even though i am logged into MacOS under my username, the file has the UUID of the System Profile and not the one for my username.

I tried to change permissions so i can edit the file, but even after using Terminal, sudo, su, chmod 777, and many more tactics, i could not grant any other write access permissions to the file other than the system group.

I believe this is the identifier for Zoom's servers to identify your account and prevent you from logging in on the application--regardless of Zoom user's account.

It is imprudent to change the system UUID on an already installed operating system, and I'm unsure of the next step.

It is unfair to ban the entire device from using their servers, as many households share computers between multiple people, and stationary computers such as devices (which can connect to webcams and microphones over USB) are typically tedious to setup and can be very expensive for any household.

Its because of this practice that Apple does not allow Zoom in its App Store.

Can i modify the file to another UUID?

Can i change the OS to another UUID without destroying my MacBookPro?

(Keeping in mind that it's an older model and no longer has any sort of warranty)

Where do we go from here? TBD??

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 18, 2024 12:43 PM

1 reply

Zoom Error Code 1132 Hidden File Remains After Uninstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.