Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Shadow bands on iPhone 14 camera

When trying to take photos in my studio, my camera will decide to insert bands of shadows in my frame. There is no shadow in the real world and the bands persist with the phone orientation. I need to take photos of my work for my business and this is a real hindrance that is making me consider switching away from iPhone entirely, even though I’ve been an iPhone user since the 4s. I’ve seen suggestions in past forum topics that it’s how the phone compensates for LED lighting — I can’t control the light sources in my studio and with most lights being LED these days that is a poor excuse for bad performance. Photos below are two different orientations of the same area, showing there is no physical shadow

iPhone 4s

Posted on May 21, 2024 10:21 PM

11 replies

May 21, 2024 10:49 PM in response to Xaandria

Xaandria Said:

"Shadow bands on iPhone 14 camera: [...]even though I’ve been an iPhone user since the 4s.[...]"

-------

Thank you for the photo.

It's Time for a New iPhone:

Your iPhone is so obsolete that this may be an issue with the iOS --but Apple no longer provides bug fixes for your model. So, rather than a hardware issue, it may be a software issue. In short, take this as a good reason to upgrade.

May 21, 2024 10:54 PM in response to Xaandria

Xaandria Said:

"I am using a 14. I’m not sure why it’s saying I have a 4s, that was my first iPhone more than a decade ago."

-------

Thank you for the follow reply.

Confirm your Device Model:

If you selected your device, then may be an error with the Apple device database. Enter the Serial Number at this link, and see if it comes up as an iPhone 4s: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

Update your iPhone:

As for the error, install to the latest update, and see if that fixes this.

Shadow bands on iPhone 14 camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.