Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Wont My Camera Connection Kit Work on my Ipad?

I finally got my Camera connection kit from Apple, put a SD card in and attached to my iPad, per directions in the little manual. My iPad switched over to a screen that stated Camera but a dialog box says no pictures. I put the card into my computer, it had several folders. Thinking the device can't read folders, I transfer the photos from from the folders to the root of the SD card, re-insert, again, no picture to import.

What am I doing wrong? I use a Canon T1i DLSR that saves to a 16GB SD card.

eMac 1.25Ghz PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2GB Ram with SuperDrive

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 10:38 AM

14 replies

Aug 27, 2010 4:55 PM in response to Kay Marczoch

Apple seem to have assumed that all cameras save photos to a DCIM folder - they don't - I have a camera here with a memory card full of pictures which the ipad can't find:-((

This actually defeats one of the purposes I bought the iPad for, let alone the camera kit - I wanted to take it on holiday to back up my photos as I went along, but I can't.

There is no way on the camera (which is under a year old) to change the folder pictures are saved in (its called "pictures") and no way to copy them to a folder called DCIM, so basically I'm stuffed. I could of course use a computer to move the pictures to a DCIM folder, but if I'm taking the computer with me, why would I take the iPad?

NOT IMPRESSED (and I'm an Apple fanboy!)

Sep 14, 2011 8:40 AM in response to HenzAppleOnDesk

HenzAppleOnDesk wrote:

I don't understand why does it have to make assumption on where the images are located? Can't it just read the entire card/drive to pull out all the supported images?

The assumption is based on the DCIM defacto industry standard for digital cameras.

See here for details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_rule_for_Camera_File_system

Almost all digital cameras conform to this standard. The Camera Connection Kit is intended for just that, connecting cameras/SD cards. It's not intended for connecting general file structures.

If you would like enhancements in this area the best place to tell Apple is at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Nov 15, 2011 10:40 AM in response to fabioluzo

What 's in that folder needs to be named XXXX0000

some combo of capitol letters and numbers, and 8 of them, no spaces or underscores.

for example, I was able to put movies on a SD card and can import them through the camera connection kit. However those movies have to be in the DCIM folder and I had to title them SAN30212 or something like that. No .jpg, no .mov, no extensions at all.

The photo import software only 'sees' 8 capitol letters and numbers.

Nov 15, 2011 10:57 AM in response to fabioluzo

My manual for the CC kit didn't spell it out. What I found out was through trial and error...putting files on the card, connecting it, seeing if the iPad saw it and then tweaking until I succeeded.

The presumption by Apple seems to be that it won't necessarily be people putting files, photos, videos on the card to get them to the iPad, that the iPad will simply read the files placed on the card by the camera that took the photos/videos. And since DCIM and the 8 character limit are relatively standard, that's what they went with and how they wrote the photos program to 'see' the files.

I'm not a programmer, but I'm sure the software to operate the camera connection kit tells it to look for a DCIM folder and the 8 characters name, anything outside those parameters it doesn't see.

Why Wont My Camera Connection Kit Work on my Ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.