Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My screen has a vertical black line

I have only been using my new iPad for a few hours and a vertical thin black line has appeared on the screen. I presume I have a defective iPad and need a replacement. Is that correct?

PC, Windows XP

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 12:40 PM

9 replies

Mar 15, 2012 2:49 AM in response to Anthony3737

Me too. It is a band of black and colored lines running vertical in landscape and horizontal in portrait about two inches wide. It's cover over all apps and all the time. Reboot, restore is no help but touch function works fine across the stripes. The screen capture from the iPad1 does not appear the band of black and colored lines. It shows a normal screen. The answer when asked at the Genius Bar is, they never seen this problem before. And the solution that fix the problem may be expensive. But when searching on Google with the keyword "iPad half screen black" it's return 64,800,000 results. Some user comment that the video display hardware on the system board has been damaged. It's possible something has been dislodged or come loose. But, again, why this happened to many many users in the same period? In most cases the iPad never drop. It's happened immediately with no sign of warning. There are no ways to fix it right now. The iPad1 is just 2 years released. Is it too early to replace with the iPad3? User uploaded file

Apr 11, 2012 4:58 AM in response to Anthony3737

I have the same issue with thin line as well. My iPad3 is just 25days old. It's a thin 1-2pixels wide line stretches across all LCD screen parallel to the longest side of the device, slightly left off the centre. It's getting white on a dark background, and reverse to a black on a white one:

User uploaded file

Called Apple Support Team, was informed it's too late for a replacement, had to post and wait for a repaired product. Being not happy with waiting, had to purchase Apple Care Plan for iPad. Is it too much pressure on Apple to manufacture defect free products?

My screen has a vertical black line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.