Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 PROXIMITY SENSOR GLOWING RED when on call!!!

I just posted a topic a few minutes ago about the proximity sensor and make some more test's.
I dimmed the light in my room in my last test, and I see the infrared emitter of the sensor glowing red (is very low, but is there!).
If I remember some electronics, when an infrared emitter emits visible red light is because it's receiving a too high current.

This can be a mayor problem, because the emitter don't would survive too much time this overcharge.
A this point, I believe that Apple solution to the issue may be allow more current pass to the emitter, maybe too much.

Anyone can confirm this? (also if you don't updated yet).
Many thanks to everyone.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 4:03 PM

43 replies

Sep 8, 2010 4:10 PM in response to diego.caraballo

diego.caraballo wrote:
I just posted a topic a few minutes ago about the proximity sensor and make some more test's.
I dimmed the light in my room in my last test, and I see the infrared emitter of the sensor glowing red (is very low, but is there!).
If I remember some electronics, when an infrared emitter emits visible red light is because it's receiving a too high current.

This can be a mayor problem, because the emitter don't would survive too much time this overcharge.
A this point, I believe that Apple solution to the issue may be allow more current pass to the emitter, maybe too much.

Anyone can confirm this? (also if you don't updated yet).
Many thanks to everyone.

THAT MEANS IT'S READY TO BLOW!!! RUN!!! 🙂

Sep 8, 2010 4:19 PM in response to diego.caraballo

OMG it just came across my mind but think about it... It glows red now becausee they had to make it more sensitive and make it work more. It disappoints me that this phone has so many flaws, and its the ONLY explanation for it glowing red is because it uses more power now, just so it could work as well as the 3Gs. Someone should see how long the talk time is now...

Sep 8, 2010 4:31 PM in response to tonefox

tonefox wrote:
diego.caraballo wrote:

I very strongly suspect that Apple employs people who work on a better level of knowledge than "If I remember some electronics".

Yes, sure! Like the ones that designed a revolutionary antenna system...that need a case to works properly.
I hope that you (and the other unconditional Apple fanatics) have A LOT of Apple shares,
because is the only way that you could be so short minded when "defending" every product they made.
I'm sorry to say this but: Apple made mistakes too. Sorry again.

Message was edited by: diego.caraballo

Sep 8, 2010 5:24 PM in response to Garydp

I can see the LED glowing red dimly in a dark room when on a call on my iPhone 4. This is after the upgrade to iOS 4.1. I didn't notice what it was doing before the upgrade -- didn't have a reason to inspect it, it was working fine before.

Makes sense. Goose the LED power to get more infrared energy to the detector. Better proximity detection but increased power consumption.

Sep 9, 2010 2:14 AM in response to diego.caraballo

I see you got a lot of silly responses.

Fact is, a LOT of people have reported this and it has been on some other sites with pictures.

Now, whether boosting the signal like this will cause the thing to wear out too soon, I don't know, but you have good reason to at least bring it up.

No one who belittled you has shown any special electronic knowledge and, frankly, the "Apple knows better" attitude isn't all that convincing.

By bringing it up, perhaps someone who does have expertise in this area can clarify this matter. So thanks for bringing it up.

Sep 9, 2010 2:56 AM in response to dbk9999

dbk9999 wrote:
I see you got a lot of silly responses.

Fact is, a LOT of people have reported this and it has been on some other sites with pictures.

Now, whether boosting the signal like this will cause the thing to wear out too soon, I don't know, but you have good reason to at least bring it up.

No one who belittled you has shown any special electronic knowledge and, frankly, the "Apple knows better" attitude isn't all that convincing.

By bringing it up, perhaps someone who does have expertise in this area can clarify this matter. So thanks for bringing it up.

One of the reasons for Apple success is that they have a very loyalty customers that support the company no matter what mistakes Apple could made.
Some of this people are posting here (and also in every post), only to make fun of users who post they problems and concerns. They also have a very little respect for the other people, as we can read in some reply's: "maybe you have supervision" or "the sky is falling".

I live in Spain, and here the Apple support is very bad, there's no toll free number, actually is a pay number, you have to wait a lot to get an answer, and a iPhone exchange could took 3 weeks.
Also we have to pay 300 dollars + 2 years contract to get a 16Gb iPhone.

So, I have my reasons to be concerned. I know that Apple would want to sell the iPhone 5 in a few months, but I don't want my iPhone damaged. IR LED's have a long life span (50000~100000 hours), but this is in normal conditions, between they current limits.

I want to thanks dbk9999, for they respectfully reply. I really wish more user like you posting in this thread.

iPhone 4 PROXIMITY SENSOR GLOWING RED when on call!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.