Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 and mac osX 10.4.11

ridiculous question.

i have the iphone 3gs and am on the brink of purchasing the iphone 4.

my question: will the new iphone 4 phone sync normally with my macbook with osX 10.4.11 without a hitch?

the reason i ask is because when i purchased the ipad, it would not sync with the osX10.4.11. i had to sync my ipad on my wife's imac which had a more recent operating system. total bummer.

i've never had any other problems when i've purchased previous iphones and synced them with my macbook osx10.4.11, but i don't want to run into any surprises AFTER i purchase the iphone 4.

thanks

macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iphone 4

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 8:02 AM

The system requirements for the iPhone 4 call for Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

I can't say that it would be impossible to get it to work with Mac OS X 10.4.x, but Apple won't support it. I strongly recommend you upgrade your MacBook to Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 if you want to get the new iPhone.

Regards.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2010 8:02 AM in response to anthonyitaliano

The system requirements for the iPhone 4 call for Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

I can't say that it would be impossible to get it to work with Mac OS X 10.4.x, but Apple won't support it. I strongly recommend you upgrade your MacBook to Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 if you want to get the new iPhone.

Regards.

Sep 13, 2010 8:15 AM in response to varjak paw

my next ridiculous question.

how do i upgrade to the latest software (10.6). i assume i have to purchase the software first, that is i have to order the cdrom or something and then install it?

i could never understand why apple just doesn't offer you the option to download all new software as a software update, and just charge you for it, if you want it.

this is the part i dread the most, because i usually go to an apple store and have them (send my macbook out) whenever i want or need new software installed so that i don't mess anything up on the computer by doing it myself. the only stuff i have "backed up" on my firelight is my itunes and my iphoto library, because i have tons of songs and photos that i never want to lose.

but, inevitably, whenever there's an upgrade, i lose just about everything else on my macbook.

any suggestions for me. thanks for all your help, so far.

Sep 13, 2010 8:29 AM in response to anthonyitaliano

To upgrade to Mac OS 10.6, you need to buy the OS (from an Apple Store or online), then perform the installation. Technically, 10.6 is an upgrade for machines running 10.5 (and the $29 price is consistent with that), but you can go straight from 10.4 to 10.6, as long as you meet the hardware requirements:

Mac computer with an Intel processor +(all MacBooks do)+
1GB of memory +(the very earliest MacBooks shipped with 512 MB)+
5GB of available disk space
DVD drive for installation

The upgrade process is actually pretty painless.

Sep 13, 2010 8:54 AM in response to anthonyitaliano

To add to the excellent advice you have received so far, here's how I would recommend you back up your system.

1) Buy an external hard drive about twice the size of your internal drive (Firewire if you have a Firewire port on your Macbook; USB if not), and download and run Carbon Copy Cloner to copy everything from your internal drive to the new drive.
2) Leaving the external drive attached, reboot your Mac and keep the Option key held down when the screen goes black. If the clone has worked, you'll see two startup options - the internal and external drives. Choose the external drive to test that the backed-up system works correctly.
3) Disconnect the external drive when you run the 10.6 upgrade. If the upgrade works, use it for a few days to ensure everything runs OK.
4) Connect the external drive again; use Disk Utility to erase and reformat it, and set it up as a backup drive using Time Machine (which comes with 10.5 and 10.6). You'll now have automated backups as long as the drive is connected.

Good luck!

Matt

Sep 13, 2010 9:15 AM in response to anthonyitaliano

You need the install disk in order to run Disk First Aid if needed for the OS X version installed.

I have never lost anything much less everything when installing an OS X upgrade. When installing an OS X upgrade, there are 3 options. Upgrade, Archive and Install, Erase and Install. I usually use the Archive & Install method and after confirming everything was available - I usually waited about 30 days or so, I would delete the Archive and I always update my computer's backup before installing an OS X upgrade. When I purchased my MBP a little over a year ago, it shipped with Leopard pre-installed. I was provided the Snow Leopard install/upgrade disk to upgrade to Snow Leopard at a discounted price off the standard $29. I installed Snow Leopard over Leopard as an upgrade install with nothing lost, but I updated my computer's backup immediately before installing Snow Leopard to be on the safe side.

iphone 4 and mac osX 10.4.11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.