Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 4.1 issues: 2nd gen ipod touch: safari and weather

In general i did not like what the upgrade from 3.1.3 to 4.0 did to my touch. It become soooooo sloooow on mail and had shortened battery life. However to be fair, the wifi range was improved a little and also network speeds. Clicking on settings however caused a blank screen for around 6 seconds (tap tap tap go the fingers...) whereas on 3.1.3 it was <1 second. Could not revert to 3.1.3 as the cert had expired by the time I got around to it (a couple maybe 3 days) so onwards and upwards...hoping that 4.1 might have fixed a few bugs
(I should know better by now, majornumber.minornumber = upgrade with new bugs, majornumber.minornumber.yetanothernumber = most bugs fixed, like say dos 6.22)
I took the plunge and upgraded to 4.1

good news: some bugs are fixed:
1. it only takes about 3 seconds now (vs 6 before) to open settings
2. battery life seems a scosche better

bad news and weirdness:
1. safari was formerly the king of ipod browsers for me however OS 4.1 introduced a new bug into safari:
on a site I scan a lot for finance news zerohedge.com/rss.xml it comes up fine as before to the first page via a redirect to reader.mac.com -
http://reader.mac.com/mobile/v1/http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.feedburner.com%2Fzerohedge%2F feed
but when I click on any link in the wonderfully formatted for ipod/iphone RSS feed it now goes to a blank page 😟 whereas before it would snap up the RSS synopsis in a blink. Now nothing. On my macbook the feed wroks just fine as it always has of course there it's feeds.feedburner.com/zerohedge/feed without going through reader.mac.com
Could be co-incidence except it was working right before the upgrade and then not right afterwards. Might be an incompatibility with reader.mac.com just introduced... oh well I will just have to write my own RSS formatter for ipod touch and make it work on any browser so I won't need a broken safari any more. Sad really as Safari had quite the edge before.

2. *weather app* I live in San Diego, CA and I use the weather app a lot to check what the temperatures for the day and the week are likely to be.
Right before the os 4.1 update I checked the temperatures for San Diego and it showed expected temps which agreed with the weather channel on the TV right in front of me.
Now this is weird: right after the update, the temps on the weather app now show 7 F more than on the weather channel!
I'm used to both the temps on the weather channel and the weather app agreeing to being off by about the same amount for where I live, I just add a few degrees to the high as we live a few miles inland from downtown.
The only explanation for this new weirdness that I can think of is that 4.1 is somehow using location awareness to give more accurate temps (hah what would be the chance of that?).
If that is the case then I'd like to be given the option to choose which zip to use.
OTOH maybe its just an interesting bug....
I tried deleting and re-adding San Diego, CA but same result, also tried switching off location services, no difference.

Oh well I'll wait for 4.1.02 <wide-grin>

So if you know how to fix these things other than me writing my own RSS reader and mentally subtracting temps to correct, let me know!

iPod Touch 2nd generation, iOS 4, OS 4.1

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 10:05 AM

2 replies

Sep 18, 2010 10:45 PM in response to Grantlittle

This evening when I try safari has regained it's former superiority and now delivers the zerohedge RSS feed as flawlessly as a couple of days ago so that must have been a glitch on the reader.mac.com website I guess.

The temps are still way off on weather app though: right now it shows 80F as the top for San Diego on Sunday and it says the data comes from weather.com but a quick search on weather.com for sunday temps for San Diego gives by zip
92101->92104,92109,92110,92112,92113: 72F
92106,92107: 74F
92105,92108,92111,92115,92116,92117: 78F
92114: 79F

so downtown is 92101 and where I live is in the ones shown as 78F
As you can see neither of those or any other mentioned is 80F for tomorrow Sunday.
It be broke. How strange. And since weather comes with the OS I can't reinstall it without reinstalling the OS. Oh well.

Sep 25, 2010 2:31 PM in response to Grantlittle

several days later.... today the weather app is still broken:
weather.com says right now 80F for san diego, ca but on the weather app on the
touch it says 91F that's quite the discrepancy.

I note that there have been numerous similar problems for folks after updates over the last several years...guess the wethaer app must have a continuuing glitch built into the software. Tried reloading it from 92093 and same result so it isn't a location issue.
Can't believe I'm the only one with this issue given how many hits I get for similar issues on previous upgrades.
Right now it is still soooo broken. Thanks for all the attention Apple, so nice to know y'all care. Love the "let's beta test on the live system" upgrade MO. If anyone should have a test suite for everything it should be Apple. Forget support looks like android is the place to go. see ya.

iOS 4.1 issues: 2nd gen ipod touch: safari and weather

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.