Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 screen shattering!!!!

my iphone 4 screen shattered when it fell from the coffee table which is about a foot and a half high! apple went on and on about how tough the new screen was Rubbish!!!
when i went to a genius bar they had me backed into a corner and i had to pay $249 to replace my phone!
has anyone else had a problem like this?

iphone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 12:49 AM

23 replies

Oct 24, 2010 3:07 AM in response to number0six

That's terrible. I'm pretty sure his point was that it dropped from a foot high.

My girlfriend's iphone 4 (that she just got a couple of weeks ago) was in her purse and a plastic pen shattered her screen. What a JOKE! We took it to the apple store and they tried to charge us $249 to replace it. BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR A CHEAP PRODUCT. I've been an apple customer for 15+ years and have seen their customer service go from great to questionable to terrible. I'm very disappointed and I regret convincing my girlfriend to purchase her iphone. Maybe they should just go ahead and make the iphone 5 out of egg shells.

Oct 24, 2010 5:14 AM in response to number0six

Sorry got to add my bit
Ive dropped mine from 6ft three times onto concrete,
twice all it had on was a rubber back cover & screen protector 3rd time just a cheap plastic casing,yes made one **** of a thud & made my stomach turn over though shock for hours,& making me feel like poo for 24 hours, But !
Its fine not broke no cracks nothing,its a tough cookie,mind you ive now super glued it to my hand so it never happens again.... 🙂
i reckon you lot were either playing football with it,sat on it or left it on the roof of the car & drove off 🙂

Oct 24, 2010 5:34 AM in response to baccalad

The narrow end of a plastic pen would have to be slammed hard against the face of the phone and then the pen would probably break before it did anything to the glass.

A pen and a phone in a purse is NOT going to break the glass. In a purse, the most likely cause is swinging the purse and bashing it into the corner of something. Most women have very sloppy purse habits. I've seen them push chairs over their purse, step on them when they're sitting on the floor, swing them into things while shopping, etc.

Have you ever carried a purse so you have first hand knowledge of the abuse things take inside a purse?

Oct 24, 2010 5:50 AM in response to number0six

For all of you who if the person had Applecare--I don't think it covers incompetence. It's just amazing how people continue to come to sites like these to complain about things like this and then expect manufactures to replace things--no questions asked. I wonder if they person even spent a cent to purchase a protective cover just in case these things happened. Guess you'll take more care of your phone next time. At least they are not making you pay for retail price for a refurbished one. Maybe I should see if my iphone is impermeable by accidentally dropping it in the toilet and then visit the genius bar to see if they'll replace it with a new one. Give me a break.

Oct 24, 2010 9:09 AM in response to number0six

15+ years...wow...i only have the iPhone as the Apple product, cause its the only thing thats realy cool...everything else is just overpriced to me and underpowered...just look nice...im pretty sure after all this youll still buy an iPhone next time though...cause its still the coolest phone out there...

When you drop something even if its not the iphone there is always a chance of breaking it...i have dropped my old 3GS phone a few times about 4-5 feet high with no case and it was fine...i dropped my iPhone 4 aboutthe same hight and its fine...its just a matter of luck i guess

Message was edited by: 0Jojo0

Oct 24, 2010 10:02 AM in response to 0Jojo0

Everyone that participates in these forums should be aware that: The screen scratches, breaks, shatters like any piece of glass. Theres been so many threads about this. Yes, its unfortunate and most people originally believed that this was made of gorilla glass. However we all now know what the product is about and that the iPHONE4 is a delicate piece of equipment that warrants a good case and some extra care to protect it.

Oct 24, 2010 10:09 AM in response to bushman4

I think that everyone needs to realize that glass is glass.

If they made something different, that wasn't glass, then they would create a new name for it. Believe me, with all the innovation that Apple likes to do, I don't think they'd have any reason to not want to make a new invention.

However, as long as they call it glass, no matter what adjective they give it...gorilla, unbreakable, impenetrable, etc., as long as they call it "glass", it will always have the characteristics of glass, and thus, is susceptible to cracking. RECOGNIZE and RESPECT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass

Oct 24, 2010 10:17 AM in response to 0Jojo0

0Jojo0 wrote:
15+ years...wow...

I've been an Apple customer since 1984 (26 years). I have no idea what their customer service is like, as I've never had occasion to use it....

My principles of owning an iPhone include:
*Be very careful not to drop it.
*Never leave it near the edge of a drop, for instance balanced on a pile of paper at the edge of a desk
*Never place it on the same surface as any container of liquid

No Mac hardware has ever failed, and has never had a software problem that couldn't be figured out.

iphone 4 screen shattering!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.