Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 4G not detected in iTunes 10.0.1.22 when using Remote App 2.0

I'm guessing Apple's Remote App 2.0 works well for iPhone 4 and iPad, but when I try using it with iPod Touch 4G, it does not show up in devices to enter the passcode.

same wifi network
iTunes 10.0.1.22, Home Sharing On, Library Sharing enabled, Looking for remotes enabled.

iPod Touch 4G (iOS 4.1) (no problems with wifi)
Apple's Remote App 2.0 Home Sharing login works well. Adding Library produces 4 digit passcode.

BUT, again, it does not show up in Devices to have the opportunity to enter the passcode.

iTunes is an approved app in firewall settings.
Win 7 (32bit) Network Detection/Printer&File Sharing is enabled.

Interesting:
When I try to connect to Airport Express with my PC,
I receive "unknown error (-15006)"
Another iMac running iTunes 9 is able to stream music to the airport express without problem.
Using my PC, I'm able to connect to the iMac, and stream music from the iMac to my PC.

When Airport Utility (on PC) is open I can't detect Airport Express (even though the light is solid green.

I'm still guessing iTunes 10.0.1.22 has AirPlay/AirTunes issues, and in general doesn't want to detect any wifi devices.

I haven't yet looked up the error code, but would love to hear some thoughts out there.

Anyone else have similar issues? Are there any fixes?
Please share.
Thanks.

Toshiba NB205 Win7 Starter (32bit) Netbook, Windows 7, (Dead Dual 1.25Ghz MDD Power Mac G4 w/FW800 (last G4 from early 2003)) 10.4.11

Posted on Sep 28, 2010 8:22 PM

64 replies

Sep 28, 2010 10:18 PM in response to GuestG4

I have the same problem. No code is shown in the device section of iTunes.

1- iTunes and my ipod are on the same network (same WiFi connection, etc. and yes, IP address is good, etc.).
2- I tried changing the firewall settings to no avail.
3- iPod connects to the web, no problem, can download stuff, etc.

4- ** iPod even connects well to MediaMonkey through iMonkey, so I can remotely change songs etc. from my ipod, much like what I should be able to do with the "Remote" app and iTunes. *

So, it seems like an iTunes/Apple problem.

I can't help with the "unknown error (-15006)" situation though.
I know nothing about that... Sorry.

I do not wish to spend more hours trying to fix something I didn't break. I'm surprised I haven't seen more complaints about that situation. Hopefully, Apple can come up with something as it's been a few weeks now.

P.S. : I must say iTunes is sometimes driving me nuts. Last time, I updated, my ipod wouldn't sync with outlook, etc., had to uninstall everything, reinstall, etc., and after 5 h of work, I was finally able to sync a few calendar events. Fewww. Productivity at its best. Yes : I'm slowly starting to "Think different".

Sep 29, 2010 10:07 AM in response to GuestG4

I've been having the exact same problem with my brand new Macbook Pro and the free iPod Touch 2G as per the education deal. I'm on a wifi, all settings are set up correctly... It just doesn't appear in iTunes under the devices tab unless it's plugged in, and even then I can't set up the remote. Which, needless to say, is rather frustrating. Interestingly, my iPod does identify another person's iTunes home share, just not mine. Anybody know a workaround? Or, even better, if Apple is on this problem yet?

Sep 30, 2010 12:31 PM in response to arcdetriomphe

another piece of info about Remote App 2.0 on my iPod Touch 4G

I'm able to turn on the Home Sharing button inside the app.
The text description below it says:
"Remote will automatically find the iTunes libraries and Apple TV's that have Home Sharing turned on using the account _____."

Both my iTunes and this app have Home Sharing turned on and logged-in using the same account info, but Remote App is NOT automatically detecting my iTunes library. Nothing happens!! When I then click the "Add an iTunes Library" button, Remote app generates a 4-digit passcode number, but still won't detect my iTunes account. The same is true for iTunes; it will not detect my iPod Touch as a nearby wireless device on the same wifi network.

I don't know how to move beyond this issue!

Am I correct to assume that signing into my Home Sharing account on Remote App should automatically find my iTunes Library and populate the Remote App screen on my iPod Touch with a button/link to start navigating my iTunes Library, while at the same time iTunes should detect my iPod Touch in Devices and give me a screen to enter the passcode? Do I actually need a passcode if I'm using Home Sharing?

I'm guessing that Home Sharing is for when I'm at my house, and a passcode is for when I'm at a friend's house. Could someone confirm if this is really the case?

Oct 1, 2010 1:35 AM in response to GuestG4

Hi everyone,
I just found out that I have the same problem with iTunes 10.0.1.22.
I'm using a MacBookPro with Boot Camp and Windows Vista. Since I upgraded iTunes to the latest vesion my AirPort istn't working under Windows anymore. While trying to connenct it shows the following error: "An error occurred while connecting to the remote speaker "Speaker-Name". An unknown error occurred (-15000)".

Though, the same iTunes version and MacOS (latest version) is able to connect to the AirPort-Speakers!

I guess too it is an Apple iTunes problem, since I didn't change anything besides installing the newest versions of iTunes and Remote 2.0 on my iPhone 4.

Hoppe Apple will come out soon with a solution!

Oct 1, 2010 6:13 PM in response to TheSnackist

I'm largely convinced this issue is limited to the PC version of iTunes10. To my knowledge, this issue does NOT exist using iTunes10 on a Mac. All we can do is wait for Apple to fix this (probably in November when they will need to update iTunes to support full Airplay functionality announced to be released with iOS4.2 at that time.)

If anyone has any additional info/experiences to share, please feel free to do so.

Thanks everyone!

Oct 1, 2010 8:28 PM in response to GuestG4

Ah, but see, I'm on a Macbook. That's why it seems so very strange to me... I do agree that it is probably an iTunes problem, though. iTunes 10: New, improved, and now even more broken. I kid. Still, it is very strange that two major updates were not tested with one and other. It just seems very bizarre to me. Very un Apple. Anyway, hopefully this will be fixed in a future update. I don't know that I'd use it, but it's a neat feature.

Oct 1, 2010 9:58 PM in response to TheSnackist

Interesting. I'd definitely like to discuss this further.

Part of my conclusion is based on CG72's claim that the same software versions don't work on the windows
side of the same Mac hardware system. He stated that he did see success while using the mac version of the same software. Again, I'm not claiming that the hardware is a factor in this issue. I believe this MAY be a PC software issue only.

You say that you are using mac hardware. Are you also using the same version of MAC software AND experiencing the same issues as me/us? I would like to know more details about what is happening in a full MAC setup with the same MAC softare versions.

If you would share this info, I would love to hear it.

Thanks again.

Oct 1, 2010 11:12 PM in response to GuestG4

I have another problem with this iTunes version. I can't sync my Outlook notes.
However, I can sync calendar and contacts : no problem.

Summary : my iPod touch and iTunes seem to communicate well, but a few connections/syncing don't at all. These are : Outlook notes syncing and Apple's Remote App for iphone/ipod touch.

I just transferred many files from the iTalk app(iPod) to my PC using my wireless connection. So the wireless etc. isn't the problem.

(Semi-Off topic : Note that I've had problems with iTunes updates more than once... I'm actually starting to find that this situation is rather typical. Last time, I spent 2 entire days trying to have my Outlook and iPod sync... To no avail. I reverted to version 8 -- I think. Version 10 works pretty well, but definitely not entirely there yet.)

Oct 2, 2010 1:57 AM in response to arcdetriomphe

Arc, thank you for your interest in this conversation.

I definitely understand your frustration. I haven't been able to setup note syncing with outlook myself.
Please let me know if you find a solution to this. I'm as interested in this as you are.
I do think, however, that this topic might best be addressed in its own separate thread, and not as an addition to our current discussion.

I would like to keep this thread focused on the newest remote app, the newest version of iTunes (MAC vs PC) and their collective compatibility with iPod Touch. This is not a discussion about iTunes syncing issues. We are troubleshooting recent changes to some Home Sharing/AirTunes/AirPlay functionality, along with Remote App connectivity problems on iPod Touch.

If you have specific experience dealing with this issue, we would love to hear it.

Thank you for understanding.

Oct 2, 2010 6:47 PM in response to GuestG4

I am on a new Macbook Pro which I bought in conjunction with the 'buy any Mac, get an iPod Touch free' deal they had this summer for education. The iPod Touch is a 2G 8g running 4.1 iOS with Remote 2.0. The Macbook Pro is a 13" running 10.6.4, with iTunes 10.0.1.

I have all the setting needed configured correctly, including Home Sharing, local sharing, and it is set to look for Remotes, with none in memory. On the iPod side, I have entered my Home Share / AppleID. The problem seems to lie in the following: My iPod doesn't appear on iTunes as being under any sort of 'device' tab when it's not plugged in. So, it's not being recognized through the use of the wifi connection. Because of this, no iPod appears under any 'devices' tab, so there is no 'remote' icon to click on in iTunes where I could then enter the password that appears on the iPod's screen when trying to add a new library.

So, there you have it.

-TheSnackist

Oct 2, 2010 8:05 PM in response to TheSnackist

snackist,

thanks for your feedback.

On your mac, have you also changed settings in your System Preferences:

Apple>System Preferences>Sharing>Firewall> (check/enable) Personal File Sharing / iTunes Music Sharing

AND

Apple>System Preferences>Sharing>Firewall>Advanced> (uncheck/disable) Block UDP

* I'm working from my memories of 10.4.11 *

These enable you to work with AirTunes on a Mac.

I'm aware firewall configuration options have changed a bit in 10.5 / 10.6, but I haven't worked with those extensively.

If these aren't the case (and you aren't running into any other firewall issues), then you definitely have a case about this issue on a mac.

Why would CG72 have success on his mac, but not you on yours?
How are all the other people having success with Remote App on their iOS devices?
Are they all running the older version of iTunes 10 (not the most recent)?

I might try backing up iTunes 9 on the iMac and see what happens after an upgrade. just not right now.

Oct 2, 2010 8:40 PM in response to GuestG4

(Sorry for the off topic post but just want to mention that I solved my Outlook notes syncing problem. See there : http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=11996568#11996568 )

As for the iTunes Remote App, again : on Windows it doesn't seem that the problem has anything to do with the Wifi connection per se (I tried with/without router, with/without software firewall -- I use Comodo --, etc.).

I have other apps (like iMonkey) I use to remotely manage music and other files from my iPod and it works perfectly. It's either iTunes or the Remote app's fault and both (as far as I can tell) don't really have any "tweakable" settings. Or maybe a conflict between different apps/components?

Message was edited by: arcdetriomphe

iPod Touch 4G not detected in iTunes 10.0.1.22 when using Remote App 2.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.