Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 sensor proximity

I have the iphone 4 16gb black and i only get issues with SP when the iphone its tilted and in your ear when making a call. i held the phone vertically during a call and there is no problem with the SP. My guessing is that it is a hardware issue due to the gyroscope. Somehow the gyroscope is conflicting with the SP. I bet Steve Jobs would say, "don't hold it that way." LOL. In my opinion if this is true the iphone 4 needs to be recalled for those users affected. Please comment on this topic.

iOS 4

Posted on Oct 8, 2010 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2010 4:53 PM

No such problem with my iPhone.

If no change after installing firmware update 4.1 which was supposed to address the proximity sensor problem for those with the problem, the iPhone includes a one year warranty. If you are in the U.S., you can call AppleCare or make an appointment at an Apple store if there is one nearby.
14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2010 4:53 PM in response to bacardiconlimon

No such problem with my iPhone.

If no change after installing firmware update 4.1 which was supposed to address the proximity sensor problem for those with the problem, the iPhone includes a one year warranty. If you are in the U.S., you can call AppleCare or make an appointment at an Apple store if there is one nearby.

Oct 8, 2010 10:30 PM in response to dbk9999

I am using OS 4.1. The bug fixes did not work for me. Since the launch of the iphone this is my third iphone 4 due to the sensor proximity. I am getting a replacement once again after talking to a senior Apple Rep. One thing I notice is that holding my phone vertically the display does not flashes during a call. The display flashes happens when holding it on an angle. And note that the sensor proximity is in my ear canal. So I think it is a hardware issue perhaps the gyroscope is interfering with the sensor proximity. I just do not know.

Oct 8, 2010 10:47 PM in response to bacardiconlimon

Definitely different.

I would still be double and triple checking where the placement of the sensor is. It can be less obvious that you might think.

For example, when I was doing an early test, sliding the phone across my ear, towards my mouth, the screen only came on in a very restricted area - yet the sound from the phone always sounded very clear. So it wasn't like normally the sensor was in a position where the sound quality was affected - yet just that tiny area would set thing off.

On another test, when I started thinking that it may be the sensor above the deeper part of the ear, I had to do another test, with a camera looking at me from the side, so I could confirm it was really over that part of the ear.

Anyway, there is no way for any of us to tell without a video - just in case you get motivated to make one!

I just messed with it a little. At first it didn't turn on for me either, but then it did. Also, by looking at the recording I made of it, I could tell it was pretty hard to tell whether I had it over the deep part of the ear by feel.

If you want to do testing, you can download the free Sensor Monitor which has an option for turning on the proximity sensor - so you can test without actually making real phone calls.

Oct 8, 2010 11:54 PM in response to dbk9999

I did not have any problems with my iphone 3Gs or 3G with the sensor proximity. The display was completely off in or around my ear. I held my iphone 3Gs the same way like my new iphone 4. The SP location was moved on the iphone 4 compared to the 3GS. This could be a factor with the SP display flashing. Do this...At night make a phone call with the lights off in the room. It never fails I can see my display flashing off and on every so seconds. Try moving the phone in an angle with SP still in your ear canal. I have mute, place the phone on speaker and ended a call without me knowing. The SP is in my ear canal and the display touches my cheek.

Oct 9, 2010 12:18 AM in response to bacardiconlimon

Yes, the sensor was moved (also just one instead of two).

The placement may well, at least for some people, make it more likely to have the sensor right about the deep part of the ear, though not necessarily.

The two sensors would also have an advantage since you could have the software only turn on the screen if BOTH sensors reported it was okay to do so. At the very least, it would cut down the problem.

But I've tested my 3G the same way as my ip4 ( http://picturehawaii.blogspot.com/201009_01archive.html ) and I simply can't get the distance to get as low as on the ip4 - thus no problem, regardless of the sensor location or how many.

I don't turn off the lights, but I turn the brightness all the way up to make it obvious if it comes on - I also have videoed my calls.

None of my phones, even before 4.1, ever lit up repeatedly on every call.

The earlier OS before 4.1 phones could, if I placed it in just the right place (and the right ear seemed far more susceptible) come on. With 4.1, I have to make some movements first which reduce the sensor range as shown on my videos.

My normal holding position does NOT put the phone directly over the deep part of my ear normally - it's usually just a little further back - but it can happen.

I'm trying to figure out if your phone is lighting up no matter what or if you may be moving it in ways that could trigger the problem with reducing sensor power.

Try this. Next time you see the screen light up, pull the phone away at least 6 inches for about 3 seconds, then put it right back on the ear. Assuming you don't take it off your ear anymore, does it still light up? I have found this maneuver resets the original distance and it is fine.

Another thing you could try. As part of my effort to see if it was the distance into my ear, I took some tissue and stuck in my ear. I couldn't get the screen to light up when on my ear that way, even when taking the normal steps to create the problem.

Oct 9, 2010 12:19 AM in response to bacardiconlimon

I am have similar issues. I have the most recent software. When I'm on a call, I will inadvertently activate contacts or Facetime and call a contact! It seems like the sensor has trouble with determining proximity when it is tilted, a natural tilt from ear to mouth. I'm guessing a visit to the Apple Store is in my future as it is quite annoying when I put clients on hold and my phone starts calling someone without me requesting such things to happen...it didn't seem to be as bad before the most recent release to iOS 4.

Oct 9, 2010 12:37 AM in response to ThisGuyMatt

Don't think the tilt from ear to mouth is it - people who angle it away from the cheek, like I do, and people who put the phone against the cheek have the same problem. Check out the videos at the link I posted to see how to create the problem.

If you do similar tests and get something else happening, let us know!

You can get Call Guard and use it to avoid messing up your phone calls if you want.

Oct 9, 2010 1:21 AM in response to bacardiconlimon

Hi all,

I have the same problem with both my Iphone4's. When I need my hands during a phone call and try to hold the Iphone between my cheek and my shoulder the problems occur. Things like hanging up the phone, turning the mic of, pausing the call, starting facetime, calling people in my addressbook etc....

It really drives me crazy because I am always doing a thousand things when calling and need my hands for that a lot !!! hahahaha

Hope to find a solution here.

Iphone is updated regularly.

Oct 9, 2010 6:36 PM in response to dbk9999

Yes is does reset and SP is fine. But when you are making a call you are not always going to be in front of a mirror checking wether the display light is off or on follow by a reset. To me thisabsurd and Apple did a really bad job with the SP. I have seen your video and my phone experiences the same flashing display during a call. Bottom line this should not happen to any phone especially the iphone 4.

Oct 9, 2010 6:44 PM in response to bacardiconlimon

Thanks for the confirmation on the sensor resetting. I've tested a number of phones and some others have confirmed as well - but it is still, relatively, a small number. More confirmations help show consistency.

I don't particularly watch in front of a mirror. First, if I'm in a testing mood, I just turn the brightness up all the way. Pretty hard to miss the screen lighting up with the way I hold it.

Also, since I know how the problem is created, any time I even think I may have moved it in a way that would cause the problem, I go through the reset maneuver to be sure I'm okay.

I've never had the screen come on with this particular phone except once (unless I was forcing like I do on the test) - that was when I had to hold it on my shoulder. It lit up then and one of those times it still acted up when I placed it back normally. That's what led to my first test.

I agree, it shouldn't have happened. I still think Apple misdiagnosed it by thinking they just had to increase the power. That was probably necessary, based on reports before 4.1. The starting distances were, at best, borderline. But the bigger problem is how the power is reduced as you use it.

At least I hope that is it because sooner or later they should figure it out, even if they never see my tests.

Oct 9, 2010 7:17 PM in response to bacardiconlimon

I don't think it is something software can't fix - at least not for the problems my tests show.

Two sensors may be good. At the very least, it would reduce the number of incidences since they could have the software only turn on the screen when both sensors say it is okay. But the sensors are close together so that wouldn't cover all situations.

Either the software is telling the sensor to reduce power in bad ways or the sensor itself somehow does this on its own.

But in either case, the software could be adjusted so that any time the screen comes on that it resets the sensor again.

iphone 4 sensor proximity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.