Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 airplane mode receives texts/calls

has anybody experienced receiving calls and texts while the phone is in airplane/flight mode?

is the phone supposed to transmit any radio waves in airplane/flight mode?

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 4:15 PM

18 replies

Jan 19, 2011 4:35 PM in response to nyaria

Hey, I just experienced the same! Totally awkward.

I'm currently travelling abroad so I put my iPhone 4 in airplane mode since I landed, 3 days ago. Today I got an SMS out of the blue during a meeting, while the iphone was clearly in airplane mode (took a screenshot to prove). I know this alert was sent exactly on Monday (and today is Wednesday), so airplane mode worked effectively for the past two days but seems it "forgot" the config after a while.

I rebooted the phone while still in airplane mode, and despite showing the plane indicator I was still able to receive calls normally.

I then turned off the Airplane, let it connect to the network (which it connected in half a second, didn't even show the usual "Searching..." which means it was really connected the whole time). After I turned the Airplane Mode on again.. voialà, now it seems to be really off the grid..

So, turning on/off your device doesn't matter much. You have to turn off and then on again the Airplane Mode switch..

Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Sep 27, 2011 3:19 PM in response to guiambros

In Canada last week... I'm a pilot. Believe me that I travel international often and I know about excessive roaming and data charges, so I never forget to airplane mode my phone.

Day 2 in Canada, I get 2 texts in a row, followed by a phone call.

It now even happens in the states. In airplane mode I can receive/send texts and calls.

Not sure why this is happening... but it can get expensive.

Oct 31, 2011 12:21 PM in response to jjwch

As a pilot... yes, I've never seen interference or experiences it with iPhones... Blackberries, yes. I've heard static interference with my headset but only when the blackberry was uploading or downloading data and it had to be really close to my headset. Other then that, I never had issues.

Now back to the original issue of airplane mode not working on a jailbroken iPhone... I just want to make sure everyone having this problem has there phones jailbroken. No one is having an issue with a non-jailbroken iphone, right?

I guess I'll restore my iphone... although i have yet to receive a bill for roaming outside the USA on my jailbroken iphone in airplane mode. Anyone?

Mar 1, 2012 10:33 AM in response to jjwch

I wonder if this explains what people are experiencing. From wikipedia:

iMessage allows users to send texts, photos, videos, contact information, and group messages over WiFi or 3G to other iOS5 users, thus providing an alternative to standard SMS messaging for all users with devices running iOS 5.

Mar 6, 2012 11:01 AM in response to jjwch

Just back from Mexico and I was having same problem. I had airplane mode on, wi-fi on, cellular data off, voice and data roaming off -- and I was still getting phone calls and text messages, even after I did soft and hard resets. Some of the texts were coming across iMessage so those make sense, but others came through as regular texts and I've gotten international roaming charges on those. Verizon had no answer as to why this was happening. I didn't answer any of the phone calls but doubt they were coming across any app -- just regular calls that were somehow getting through. My phone never said it was roaming but it was definitely connecting to something!

Sure wish this could get resolved because these charges can really add up, and I travel internationally a lot.

PS no jailbreak here.

Iphone 4 airplane mode receives texts/calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.