Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATT 3G vs Verizon MiFi

Although I have seem to have been spared the worst of the WiFi problems, I have been very disappointed most of the places where I have tried to use the ATT cellular network. (Use that primarily when traveling and WiFi not available, and only have contract when needed.) Has anyone investigated the new offering from Verizon, or had enough experience using the MiFi setup to say whether the Verizon network is better in smaller towns, etc when using the Ipad? I might consider getting one of those connectors if I could get the same price as those who are buying their Ipads from Verizon and get an "off, then on again" contract like from ATT if the network coverage is really better for Ipads. My experience has been that of finding either no coverage or VERY slow coverage in the less populated areas with ATT.

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.3), Ipodtouch; Ipad 3G; previous IIGS

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 6:48 PM

7 replies

Oct 14, 2010 10:42 PM in response to Merged Content 1

I have the virgin mobile mifi and they seem to do it by offering unlimited data but keeping the speed so slow that you can't possibly do video or anything that would use a lot of bandwidth. 3G is hugely faster than my mifi, most of the time. It's usually running at less than 802.11b speeds, and I've used it from FL to western Washington state, so it's not just that I'm in an area with lousy coverage.

FWIW, my review of it:

http://barbarabrundage.com/2010/09/19/mifi/

(disclaimer: there's a commercial link on that page)

Oct 15, 2010 5:04 AM in response to tntoofore

I have both an iPhone and a wireless only iPad. A couple of months ago I got a Verizon MiFi because I travel all over North America. The MiFi has been terrific. Not only does it consistently give me a solid connection for my iPad, but I also use it to connect my laptop, saving the cost of daily Internet service at many hotels. That alone has more than paid for the monthly MiFi cost. As Barbara has correctly pointed out, the speeds aren't exactly blazing, but they are perfectly fine for email and light web browsing. If you are addicted to watching YouTube or streaming videos, this isn't the device for you. But if you use it for business travel, it's great.

Oct 15, 2010 5:58 AM in response to virtualgeo

Thanks for that, virtualgeo. I've been wondering if the other mifis would have a significantly faster connection.

I agree--it's great for things like being able to call up a map in the car, going to a website to find a contact phone number, or checking email when I stop for lunch. Fortunately I usually stay in hotels that have free wifi, so for any kind of heavy use I can generally wait for that. But I think my next ipad will have 3G, as much as I dislike ATT.

Oct 18, 2010 6:39 AM in response to virtualgeo

Thanks. I need connection only for email, etc, when on trips, but have sometimes been unable to connect at all with ATT, and at other times even loading the first screen of a web site has been painfully slow. I only use the smallest of the ATT data accounts, and then only for the months of travel. Q uestion is whether Verizon would be any better for this, and whether one can turn on and off as needed.

ATT 3G vs Verizon MiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.