Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Menu: "Recent Items" doesn't work proper anymore

Hi,
i switched from 10.5.8 to 10.6.4 and recognized that the "recent items" in the Apple Menu doesn't work proper anymore.
While OS X is running everything works fine. When i restart the computer all recent items are cleared.
I want it to behave like it did in 10.5.8, that all recent items where displayed even after a restart.

I recognized that the "open recent" command in applications like TextEdit or Preview behave the same. While the Program is running everything works fine . If I close and restart the app, open recent is cleared.

I tried do adjust it under Appearance in the System Preferences, but if i set all Numbers of recent items to "none" for example and restart the computer it will be set for each (Application, Document, Server) back to 10 again.

Hope someone can tell me a solution because i use "open/ recent Items" alot and it really disturbes my workflow.

Greetz
Djordji

p.s.: I did a quick forum search and did not find any topic about it.

Message was edited by: SPUMD

Intel Xeon Dual 2,8 Quad-Core, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 30, 2010 7:29 PM

4 replies

Oct 30, 2010 8:16 PM in response to SPUMD

Hi Djordji

try trashing Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist
and then restarting.

If that doesn't help - test briefly in a New User Account & we'll see if it's system-wide or not.

If a new account seems ok, try this Terminal command

defaults write -globalDomain NSRecentDocumentsLimit 10

(change 10 to a number you choose) - again, restarting.

Oct 31, 2010 4:16 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi Andy,
thanks..i checked the preferences for the com.apple.recentitems.plist and didn't find one.
It seems like the system doesn't write down which items i loaded. I trashed this .plist earlier because i
saw that hint somewhere else.

i did like you said and created a new user account, tested different apps and documents, restarded and everything was displayed proper in the "recent items" Appel menu and in the "open recent" of every App.

I searched in the test account for the com.apple.recentitems.plist, copied it to the preferences of my account and restarted the computer. In the "recent items" displayed the Items that i used with the test account but after several tests it is clear that the system doesn't write down the recent items when i open my account. The com.apple.recentitems.plist still showes only the items i used with the Test account and the info of the file says that it wasn't touched sinced i copied it from the test to my account.

The Terminal command didn't change anything. The question is why doesn't the system write down wich items and documents i used when i'm in my account?

Greetz
Djordji

Message was edited by: SPUMD

Oct 31, 2010 5:38 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Yes that was the problem. Thank you.
I didn't expect this. I repaired the permissions lets say a hundred times but in the Finder-Get Info of the Home Library Folder only showed the system thats allowed to read and write.
I added my account in the permissions with the privilege to read and write, told to apply enclosed items, and everything worked like iot should.

Thank you andy.

Apple Menu: "Recent Items" doesn't work proper anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.