Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Invalid Checksum

I have a downloaded .dmg file that won't open due to an invalid checksum. Can anything be done with it?

 MacBook Pro 2.8 Ghz 15" / 4 Gb Ram, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 3GS

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 1:56 PM

At the beginning of a disk image file is the sum of all the bits in that file. The program will then checksum to see if the sum is what is really in the image. If it is off, it reports "invalid checksum"

If you downloaded it from a website, it likely was corrupted during download, and I would suggest trying to download it again. If you downloaded it from a peer to peer network, the file may be a fake.

You maybe able to skip the check sum at your own risk:

Checksums are there to protect you.

To enable skipping of the checksum verification to speed up mounting. So use the following (in Terminal):

*defaults write com.apple.frameworks.diskimages skip-verify true*

This will turn off disk image verification system-wide, regardless of what client has requested the mount (e.g. Finder or Safari or Disk Utility or DiskImageMounter.app).

Message was edited by: leroydouglas
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2010 1:56 PM in response to sig

At the beginning of a disk image file is the sum of all the bits in that file. The program will then checksum to see if the sum is what is really in the image. If it is off, it reports "invalid checksum"

If you downloaded it from a website, it likely was corrupted during download, and I would suggest trying to download it again. If you downloaded it from a peer to peer network, the file may be a fake.

You maybe able to skip the check sum at your own risk:

Checksums are there to protect you.

To enable skipping of the checksum verification to speed up mounting. So use the following (in Terminal):

*defaults write com.apple.frameworks.diskimages skip-verify true*

This will turn off disk image verification system-wide, regardless of what client has requested the mount (e.g. Finder or Safari or Disk Utility or DiskImageMounter.app).

Message was edited by: leroydouglas

Invalid Checksum

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.