Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Places" links in Finder Sidebar have corrupted, can't open, can't remove

A couple of links in my Places section of the Finder Sidebar have become corrupt - clicking doesn't open the folders, and I can't remove them. I can still open the actual folders by traversing the hierarchy of folders in Finder, and I can re-add working links, but the original links no longer work and are intransigent.

I recently had a hard drive and power sensor crash, things were replaced and I did a complete restore from backup - may have something to do with the problem.

I would like to know if there's a way to rebuild the Places menu from scratch.

iMac8,1, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 4:44 PM

29 replies

Nov 16, 2010 2:12 AM in response to That Mustache Guy

I am having the same problem. I was using a MacBook Pro (10.6.4) and my new iMac arrived yesterday. I transfered everything over using boot-with-T-held-down thingy, and downloaded all the software updates. So the iMac is on 10.6.5 and the MacBook Pro on 10.6.4. Now on the iMac some "PLACES" in the Finder sidebar do not respond to a mouse click. The folders are there - I can navigate to them with Finder - it is just that I cannot go straight to them in the PLACES list. Some places are ok, others not. It all still works fine back on the MacBook Pro, which has exactly the same file system structure because they are just copies of each other. The only difference is the iMac is on 10.6.5.

Nov 16, 2010 3:06 AM in response to Roger_Marlow

A bit more information. On the iMac, using a file chooser, for example when I "save as" in an application, the places that I cannot click in the Finder sidebar do appear the places list in the chooser but when I click on them I get a generic folder icon, the folder name and a "calculating size" message. When I click on the 'More info...' button I get a message saying "The operation can’t be completed because the item can’t be found". I can navigate to the folder within the chooser though so it is there. Also on a Terminal I can navigate to the folder on the command line.

Curiously, I have also now upgraded my MacBook Pro to 10.6.5 and the issue is not occurring there.

Mar 10, 2011 9:27 AM in response to That Mustache Guy

I've a similar problem and so far none of the fixes have worked.
Problem: Places new folder location appeared as part of an iso disk burn under disk utility in 10.6.6 . Now can't click-on/choose it to dump it. All other places dutifully respond normally
System sudo find shows the "folder" isn't on the system
Tried-
Finder restart.
System reboot.
Tossed the finder plist from user's preferences and had it rebuild on restart.
Booted from install DVD and ran disk utility permission and disk repair ( two passes.)

Problem only on single user. other users on system no phantom Place

Short of a complete system reinstall Any ideas guys?

JD

Mar 10, 2011 9:44 AM in response to That Mustache Guy

I forgot to mention that I had also tossed the sidebar.plist and did finder relaunch and restarts that hadn't worked .

After repeating the finder and sidebar plist removals It did work on a system reboot while Zapping the PRAM . I hadn't thought of that as it had not been useful for the last couple of years.

This time that combination seemed to work as the phanton Place is now gone.

JD

"Places" links in Finder Sidebar have corrupted, can't open, can't remove

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.