Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does "Find text on web pages" work on iPhone 3G/iOS 4.2.1?

According to the website describing iOS 4.2.1 you can search an open web page for keywords; "In Safari, you can do a quick text search to find and highlight specific words and phrases on even the longest web pages." It doesn't appear to be working on my iPhone 3G after installing iOS 4.2.1. I enter a term in the "Google" search box and it doesn't give me the option to search for that word in the currently open page. Can anyone confirm if this works on the iPhone 3G and if I'm doing it correctly?

iPhone 3G, iOS 4, OS Agnostic

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 1:38 PM

19 replies

Nov 22, 2010 2:16 PM in response to don.beattie.maine

I just updated my 3Gs and wondered the same thing. Finally figured it out! When in a page, just select the top as if you're going to do a new search. It then will show u all the suggestions from whatever you type in search. From that list, scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see "find these words on current webpage" or something similar to that sort. Select find and the words will be highlighted on that webpage. You then have the option to choose "next" word if there happens to be more than one on that page. Hope that helps!!

-Harold

Nov 23, 2010 5:00 AM in response to abrilik

Please read the question properly folks, the OP asked for confirmation that the feature was missing from a 3G, not a 3GS or a 4.

I can confirm it is missing.

I have an iPad also and I know what it looks like, it's very nice and I'm a little sad that they chose not to allow that one through the gate on the 3G.

Since it gives no indication in the new IOS 4.2 manual of this restriction on the 3G I think Apple need to put up a proper feature matrix for the different IOS devices.

Jan 30, 2011 6:35 AM in response to croozer

QUOTE = "Since it gives no indication in the new IOS 4.2 manual of this restriction on the 3G I think Apple need to put up a proper feature matrix for the different IOS devices."

I completely agree, although Apple often put footnotes on what features are not available on what devices.. they certainly don't mention ALL features.. I myself as many of you were also, was really looking forward to this, TBH i'm getting fed up with apple restricting certain features from devices, and i know its not always due to hardware limitations, yea i know the 3G is about 1/4 the spec of an iPhone 4,, but its no retard of a device by any means.

as a LONG TERM Apple Fan and loyal devotee i have felt let down by apple a few times in the recent years.. sometimes they even seem to adopt approaches that unfortunately are very similar to microsoft's . this is NOT a good thing.

Apple used to encourage us to "THINK DIFFERENT" ... nowadays i think their equivalent motto would be "THINK WHAT APPLE TELL YOU TO THINK"

Does "Find text on web pages" work on iPhone 3G/iOS 4.2.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.