Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iPad from Walmart differ from one sold at Apple Store?

I've heard that manufacturers make some of their products with cheaper components especially for Walmart, so they can be sold cheaper there. Is the iPad one of those products, or are all iPads the same quality no matter where they are sold (Apple, Best Buy or Walmart)?

Thanks in advance,

Sunny

20" iMac 2.4 2GB, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 25, 2010 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2016 3:50 PM

just spoke to apple and asked them out right and they deny this of course. But my mom bought their new iPhones 7 from walmart and they guy said when she went to ask about getting INSURANCE that they are not worth it because apple makes things for walmart CHEAPER the parts are cheaper.

Now i do not know if he is clueless or doesn't know what he is talking about. But i won't buy anything but from APPLE or BEST BUY

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2016 3:50 PM in response to sunny330

just spoke to apple and asked them out right and they deny this of course. But my mom bought their new iPhones 7 from walmart and they guy said when she went to ask about getting INSURANCE that they are not worth it because apple makes things for walmart CHEAPER the parts are cheaper.

Now i do not know if he is clueless or doesn't know what he is talking about. But i won't buy anything but from APPLE or BEST BUY

Nov 25, 2010 9:45 AM in response to Graham Outterside

Oh, stop! 🙂 Actually, I know someone who works at a company that manufactures viewfinders (lenses) for rifles. They couldn't get a contract with Walmart (which is a HUGE contract to get) until they agreed to use cheaper materials for the viewfinders sold in Walmart stores. So now their products are made at two levels: one for Walmart and one for everywhere else.

I've heard the same thing happens with vacuum cleaner and TV manufacturers. They look the same, but the SKU and model numbers are different. I guess my question is just idle curiousity: my iPad will be purchased from the Apple web site. Walmart's is the same price, so of course I'll be giving my money to Apple.

Sunny

Does iPad from Walmart differ from one sold at Apple Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.