Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send MMS on O2, 4.2.1 - iPhone 4

I am having problems with my iPhone 4 not being able to send MMS, on contract with O2. It is only less than 2 months old.
The guys at O2 have no idea why this is happening as all my settings are correct, even the Apple tech guys are at a loss... could this be a bug in the update? Or something to do with the O2 carrier settings?
Any help would be much appreciated 🙂

J.

iMac 3.06GHz, MacBook Pro 2.66GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4 16GB, iPhone 3G 8GB, Powerbook G4, 1.67 GHz, iPod 8GB Classic

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 6:11 AM

17 replies

Nov 30, 2010 12:54 PM in response to JamesRene

I updated my iPhone 3GS to 4.2 last night. This morning, I couldn't select MMS from the photo library or go into my texts and select the camera icon. After doing a few quick searches all I found were posts like these.

Oddly enough, I don't have an MMS option in my messaging settings...it seems preposterous Apple would turn off MMS or make such a weird error in an OS update...and then I thought, duh, restart your phone. I always forget to do that when updating my iPhone.

So, just restart the phone. All the normal MMS options showed up. Hope it works and you all aren't experiencing some other issue.

Message was edited by: sarush. Screwed up the MMS acronym.

Dec 18, 2010 11:09 AM in response to JamesRene

I'm having the same trouble with my iPhone 4 on o2 as well. Although, it only seems to be a problem with pictures taken on the phone. When I've tried to MMS an image copied from Safari, it sends no problem so I can only think it's something to do with the MB size of the image taken by the iPhone but I was led to believe that the iOS 4 update allowed MMS messages of up to 2mb to be sent.

Another thought is, should I have a good 3G connection in order to send a largish MMS? Where I live, there is no 3G reception.

Jon.

Dec 18, 2010 1:09 PM in response to JamesRene

There does appear to be a problem with the latest O2 carrier settings
O2 recommend until sorted
Settings>General>Network>Mobile Data Network>MMS
reset ......MMS max Message size to 307200

This has worked for most people reporting issue on the O2 User Forum

although as usual initial issues raised had the Usual O2 response ....Oh its Apples problem
they have now it appears worked out it is their carrier settings causing a timeout on sending
a MMS up to the size allowed by the original setting

Dec 20, 2010 4:10 AM in response to wegras

Doesn't work for me unfortunately, when I hit reset the Max Message size stays at 2097152. However, my theory of it needing a 3G connection seems to hold water. I tried to send a photo from my phone this morning and had a good 3G connection from work and it sent without a hitch but I have to disconnect any wifi connection for this to work.

Jan 15, 2011 3:50 AM in response to JamesRene

I recently purchased a i phone 4 out off the 02 shop and i had problems sending message at 1st and then i just kept mucking about with it then when there was a 3g signal on my fone the mms messages were sending ok, but i've not known u must have a 3g signal before u can send a message to a network?

so you must have a 3g signal in the area ur in to send a mms!

Can't send MMS on O2, 4.2.1 - iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.