Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone4 Keeps Dropping WIFI Connection

My iPhone4 constantly loses the wifi connection. I have the latest OS (4.2.1) and the problem seems to have gotten worse with this upgrade. What I've noticed is that I can always make the initial connection to Pandora, Safari, Video (etc) with WiFi but then my second attempt to connect to something fails. For example, I open Safari and do a search. I click one of the returned sites and I can usually connect. However, if I try to do another search or go back and select a different page from the first search, the connection times out and I never connect.

I also have the problem if I watch a video and then try to watch another video. The connection times out again when trying to show the second video.

I can restore the iPhone's WiFi connection by going to Settings and turning WiFi off and then on. I can also turn Airplane Mode On and Off which does the same thing and saves a step. But this only works for one usage and then the WiFi is dropped again.

I have a completely Apple network infrastructure: Airport Extreme connected to the cable modem and 2 Airport Expresses as range extenders. The Airport Expresses also stream iTunes to connected speakers. I have 3 Windows computers (2 using ethernet cables and 1 wireless) and 1 Macbook (wireless). All connect perfectly to the network and there is never an issue. I never have to reboot routers or modems. Truely a 24/7 network. There is also a printer attached to the Airport Extreme's usb port.

Any ideas on what could be causing the problem with the iPhone?

Thanks,

Ned

iPhone4, iOS 4, Airport Extreme, 2 Airport Expresses.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 7:50 AM

5 replies

Dec 1, 2010 11:43 AM in response to samjessup

OK, here's the fix. My phone has been WiFi perfect for 24 hours now.

1. In Settings -> WiFi -> {your network}, click on Forget this Network.
2. Restablish a connection to the network you just dropped.
3. Once all the connection details have been filled in, go to the DNS field and replace everything that might be in there with this ip address: 208.67.222.222. This is the OpenDNS server.

This fixed the problem both at home and the office. I am also using WPA2 security and have not had an issue.

More info is at this site: http://www.madbot.org/?p=189.

Thanks,

Ned

Message was edited with more detail by: Reiki Lotus

Nov 17, 2011 6:55 AM in response to Reiki Lotus

Hi, I have a similar issue going, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3497202?answerId=16745446022#16745446022.

I told the phone to forget both wireless access points/networks, re-entered the passcodes and have made no changes. I note that under DNS, both the primary and secondary DNS's from the router are shown (on a single line separated by a comma), now running DHCP.

I'll begin waiting/testing now.

I do note though that when waking the phone up, when it had been on wifi before locking, and going straight into wifi settings. the dial spins a bit, but then comes up with the previously connected network.

I'm very suspicious that the issues are DNS related. I had the routers IP in for the DNS based on an older iOS post I found from the 4.3.x era.

Anyway, trying to merge to similar issues.

Best,

jeff

iPhone4 Keeps Dropping WIFI Connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.