Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it bad to use Fan Control?

So I was looking into running Boinc (donating CPU time to run science projects aka grid computing) on my computer and installed Fan Control so I turn up my fans to keep to comp cooler. I have hence been convinced that it isn't the best idea to run your CPU so high on an MBP since I didn't want to wear out the fan and/or damage any hardware near the CPU. I still have Fan Control installed. Is this okay? I have heard mixed things about manually controlling fan speeds? Should I go to the trouble of uninstalling, or can I just leave it on low settings? What settings should I put it on?
Thanks for all of your help!
And a shout out to all those students out there: Happy winter break! We made it!

MBP 15" - Mid 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Dec 18, 2010 1:00 PM

22 replies

Jun 1, 2017 4:55 AM in response to kenny111

This is also my concern. I understand for the component in the computer, the cooler the better. However, what I'm afraid is when increasing the fan speed, the fans are also drawing more current from the main board. What I'm not sure is whether it could be a problem if the fans are drawing too much current? And how much is too much?

Dec 18, 2010 1:11 PM in response to kenny111

There really is no need for third-party fan controls. The OS is already configured to increase fan speeds in response to higher operating temperatures. So uninstalling the software is appropriate. However, you need to return the fan configuration to its original setting(s) which is an idle speed of 2000 RPM for each fan (if your model has more than one.) Once you do that you can then uninstall the software using the uninstaller, if it has one. Otherwise, see the following:

Uninstalling Software: The Basics

Most OS X applications are completely self-contained "packages" that can be uninstalled by simply dragging the application to the Trash. Applications may create preference files that are stored in the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder. Although they do nothing once you delete the associated application, they do take up some disk space. If you want you can look for them in the above location and delete them, too.

Some applications may install an uninstaller program that can be used to remove the application. In some cases the uninstaller may be part of the application's installer, and is invoked by clicking on a Customize button that will appear during the install process.

Some applications may install components in the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder. You can also check there to see if the application has created a folder. You can also delete the folder that's in the Applications Support folder. Again, they don't do anything but take up disk space once the application is trashed.

Some applications may install a startupitem or a Log In item. Startupitems are usually installed in the /Library/StartupItems/ folder and less often in the /Home/Library/StartupItems/ folder. Log In Items are set in the Accounts preferences. Open System Preferences, click on the Accounts icon, then click on the LogIn Items tab. Locate the item in the list for the application you want to remove and click on the "-" button to delete it from the list.

Some software use startup daemons or agents that are a new feature of the OS. Look for them in /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ or in /Home/Library/LaunchAgents/.

If an application installs any other files the best way to track them down is to do a Finder search using the application name or the developer name as the search term. Unfortunately Spotlight will not look in certain folders by default. You can modify Spotlight's behavior or use a third-party search utility, Easy Find, instead. Download Easy Find at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Some applications install a receipt in the /Library/Receipts/ folder. Usually with the same name as the program or the developer. The item generally has a ".pkg" extension. Be sure you also delete this item as some programs use it to determine if it's already installed.

There are also several shareware utilities that can uninstall applications:
AppZapper
Automaton
Hazel
CleanApp
Yank
SuperPop
Uninstaller
Spring Cleaning

Look for them at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

For more information visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on removing software.

Dec 18, 2010 2:25 PM in response to kenny111

How To install and uninstall smcFanControl?
smcFanControl is just an application. So after downloading, and unzipping it, drag it to wherever you want (e.g. the Application Folder). To uninstall it, just drag it into the trash. smcFanControl installs no permanent background processes or daemons.
All changes smcFanControl does to the fan controlling get lost after you shutdown your computer (power off, not restart) or enter standby mode (as far as you don't have smcFanControl running) . Minimum fan speed then falls back to the system defaults values.

Dec 18, 2010 3:43 PM in response to kenny111

Use it. I've used SMCFanControl 2.x on Mac Pro for 4 years because the fans kick in late, too late, and are configured for quiet running and then it is too hard to expel heat. Easier to boost and keep air circulating.

There really is no need for third-party fan controls. The OS is already configured to increase fan speeds in response to higher operating temperatures.

That is false, wishful thinking.

There are probably other things to look at too like air flow under the laptop, keeping it elevated can help. I'd put it on dry ice or liquid nitrogen if it worked.

Of course you are going to read and hear various sentiments.

I use 4 settings, default/low, and then staggered medium, high, highest, but experiment, play with it, be sensible.

Mac Pro has had GPU's that need more air, and there isn't good GPU monitoring and the fan on GPU or to see what temps it hits.

MacBook's run hotter under Windows 7, too, and lack of control of fans to the thermal sensors.

Intel processors have a Thermal Junction Maximum which on desktop cpus is usually 100*C.

Ever seen a report of fan failure? from using FanControl? I know SmcFanControl 2 is safe on Mac Pro, totally.

Dec 19, 2010 12:04 PM in response to WZZZ

First, here's what I said: "There really is no need for third-party fan controls." Where in that statement does it say "bad to use?" I've been using these laptops since the first one was released in 2006. That first model is the only one that had serious heat problems that Apple eventually fixed by raising the fans' idle speed and adjusting the SMC routines for increasing the fans' speed. Since that first model I've had four others including one 2009 MBP 17" and a Late 2009 MBP 15". I have a Late 2006 MBP 15", a Late 2006 MB, and a new MBA. None use any third-party fan software, and none of them have any heat problems. This includes the 2006 MBP that I use in Vancouver in a condo whose inside temp in the summer may exceed 90º F.

The point here is not whether this software is good or bad. It's really a question of whether it's even needed. My statement was it is not needed. So far I've never observed any case of my laptops slowly roasting. They are all still in service. The hysteria over laptop heat was created with the original 2006 MBP because the fans' idle speed was too slow. Thus, boosting that idle speed helped cool off the computer. Once the SMC firmware was updated to increase the fans' idle speed the heat problem disappeared. But this subject has remained around like a bad penny mostly due to lack of knowledge of how the problem arose.

Don't you think that if there really was a heat problem of such magnitude it would damage the computer that Apple's engineers would have looked for a solution? But for some reason there are people who believe they know more about the engineering of heat dissipation than Apple's own engineers. It assumes that Apple continues to produce laptops with this "defect" left unresolved for the last five years. Furthermore, the user manuals for these laptops specifically state in one of the sections:
*Proper handling* Set up your MacBook Pro on a stable work surface that allows for adequate air circulation under and around the computer. Do not operate your MacBook Pro on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your MacBook Pro. Never push objects into the ventilation openings.

The bottom of your MacBook Pro may become very warm during normal use. If your MacBook Pro is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, remove it from your lap and place it on a stable work surface.

Failure to follow these suggestions even with fan control software can lead to damage.

The above comments are intended to clarify what I stated and correct the claims that I stated the software was "bad to use." It also clarifies the nature of the issue and why such claims that your laptop will burn up unless you use such software are hysterical nonsense.

My remarks are directed to everyone in this topic (except me, of course) and not specifically to you, WZZZ, even though I did quote from your post.

Dec 19, 2010 3:57 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

My "It is not bad to use" was directed at the OP whose topic was "Is it bad to use Fan Control?" I take your point about the use of smcFan with the portables, and since I have no direct experience with them I will defer to your knowledge in this area. And, since this topic was raised in that context, I probably shouldn't have commented.

I was thinking more in terms of the Desktops where long term overheating has been more of an issue: the system does not ramp up the fan speeds until things get quite hot. Certainly not hot enough to cause a thermal shutdown, but hot enough to perhaps cause undue stress and cumulative damage +over the long term.+ One can only speculate as to why this is. There is the opinion -- and I would be the first to say there is no hard evidence to support this, but it remains, nevertheless, plausible -- that Apple for marketing purposes prefers computers that remain mostly quiet; that when it comes to this, engineering takes a back seat to sales.

Dec 19, 2010 7:36 PM in response to WZZZ

I have one iMac, rather my wife does, that is a 2006 Intel model - one of the first generation. She uses it quite a lot so it stays on all the time. It does get warm but not warm enough to be of concern. Of course four years later iMacs are not the same thing as they were in 2006. My desktop is a 2006 Mac Pro that's nicely tricked out with ATI 3870 GPU, RAM in all eight sockets, and four hard drives plus two optical drives. I don't think that in four years I've ever seen even one of the fans increase in speed. It just never gets that hot. Of course my home is air-conditioned so ambient temperature is a comfortable 74º F. The MP's case is always cool to the touch.

So I don't have any heat problems with my two desktop models. My experience with them is quite limited. I will say this in defense of Apple's engineers - the fans are whisper quiet. Sometimes I have to listen carefully to be sure they are still running.

Still, whether your surmise is right or not I believe no matter what the battle is between marketing and engineering, you cannot be successful selling something that is poorly designed for very long. I don't think Apple's success has come at the risk of poorly engineered hardware that might burst into flames at any moment (pardon my hyperbole. User uploaded file)

I think the idea of sales first and engineering second is an idea that the Japanese carmakers long ago proved false, but took such a long time for American carmakers to get the message. But then I've never had access to those secret Apple whitepapers proposing that by allowing slightly higher heat they could save money on costs, boost sales, and decrease time to obsolescence. And, it would seem that things aren't much different at Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. All the Intel machines except towers are hot because the CPUs and GPUs and memory generate a lot of heat in a small space, and that's to feed the consumers' demand for faster, faster, and faster. Who wants a machine that can't play WoW in 3D full-screen 1080p resolution at 350 fps?

Consumers seem to think that all you do is put in a bigger engine and it will go faster. They don't care about all the attendant issues. Reminds me of a fella who bought a used CrissCraft 24 foot cabin cruiser, then proceeded to put in a 380 HP Chevy V8. The moment he tried it out the engine ripped out of the boat and it all sank.

Dec 19, 2010 9:18 PM in response to Kappy

Obviously no way to settle this conclusively based on such small samples and only anecdotal evidence.

Just to note: the OP who hasn't been heard from since his first post, may have been misled. He was asking, I realize now, about Fan Control, not smcFan Conrol, which is another fan program that has received rather mixed reviews I've been reading at MacUpdate.

Dec 19, 2010 10:34 PM in response to WZZZ

Sorry to keep quiet so long.
Yes, the mixed reviews were more what I was referring to, but also the issue of heat.
My concern with the heat is that if I try and run a program like Boinc where you donate your unused CPU processing power, the computer will continually run at temps around 80˚ and while this isn't enough for the CPU to shutdown, considering its rated to like 105˚, I have to imagine that it isn't good for the nearby components to be sitting at 80˚C 24/7. No, Apple wouldn't have designed a laptop that would let itself get damaged if the CPU spiked in temp for a little bit, but the laptops also aren't designed to be used at 100% all the time.
Currently I have switched to iStat Menu to simply raise the idle speed a few hundred rpms and turned down the amount of CPU Boinc uses so the temp stays lower.
There are so many forums and questions about this, it would be nice if Apple weighed in on just how hot, and for how long, it is safe for the computer to be. Do any Apple employees monitor these forums?

Dec 20, 2010 5:32 AM in response to kenny111

I would think running the CPU at 80C is not very healthy even for a short period. Where do you see that it is rated to 105C? Is that from Bresink's Hardware or Temperature Monitor? From Hardware Monitor, I see a "Specified Upper Limit" for both CPU cores of my 21.5 at 100C. (I never understood where that figure comes from. I always thought Bresink completely reverse engineered his programs and that Apple didn't publish any figures.) I also have iStat Menus and don't see any upper limit figures there.

I know it's not the same machine, but I had heard my iMac G5 was supposed to shut down or sleep at 85C, but that must have been for the CPU heatsink, not the core and the core might have had to get to around 100C for that to happen -- my CPU, almost certainly measured at the heatsink, never ran much above 60C.

The appearances here of anyone directly connected to Apple are few and far between.

Maybe Kappy with his experience with the laptops will be able to give you more insight into this issue. You might also want to call Apple directly and speak to a "Senior Adviser."

Re. Fan Control, from what I've read I'm not crazy about it modifying the SMC directly. Sounds like you're better off with iStat Menus if that's working OK for you.

Dec 20, 2010 8:45 AM in response to kenny111

A major factor in laptop heat is the surface they're on. You want something that allows ventilation at the least.

When using a MBP on your lap, get a lap desk. It will keep you and your computer cooler. On a desk, use an aluminum stand or one with its own fans.

They're relatively cheap considering all the benefits. I got mine at Lapworks.

http://laptopdesk.net

Is it bad to use Fan Control?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.