Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location services on Ipad not working

My iPad consistently fails to correctly locate me. It seems to think that I'm still at home 220km away. I've switched Location Services off and on, rebooted etc. The problem is consistent across all programmes. No problems finding correct location on my iPhone. Has anyone come across this before?

MacBook Pro 17" i7, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 4GB RAM. iPad WiFi 64GB

Posted on Dec 18, 2010 5:33 PM

11 replies

Dec 18, 2010 5:59 PM in response to Prof Tournesol

If you have a WiFi-only iPad then Location Services locates you by looking up the location of the router you are using (and other nearby routers). These locations are in a database by router MAC addresses.

If you are not using WiFi then location services are not available and you are probably being given a cached location from the last time location services was used at your home.

Your iPhone can locate you by GPS and cellphone tower locations without WiFi.

Feb 4, 2011 4:20 PM in response to Prof Tournesol

I know this discussion is more than a month old, but I have a similar problem with the location services on the iPad. I purchased an iPad (32GB WiFi-only model) for my mother for Christmas, here is the odd bit she lives in Minnesota but the location services maps her location in Rhode Island...strange, yes but stranger part is I live in RI. The device was shipped to my home in RI and even though I had thought of opening it and configuring it for her before going to MN so she would be able to use the device right away I didn’t as I figured that may diminish her experience of receiving the gift. So I didn’t open the iPad and opted to assist her in setting it up in MN to benefit her for familiarity purposes. She is connected to WiFi all the time so she does have an active internet connection but the location using Rhode Island as the default is strange. Anyone here experienced anything similar?

Feb 5, 2011 7:53 AM in response to lmack769

lmack769 wrote:
I know this discussion is more than a month old, but I have a similar problem with the location services on the iPad. I purchased an iPad (32GB WiFi-only model) for my mother for Christmas, here is the odd bit she lives in Minnesota but the location services maps her location in Rhode Island...strange, yes but stranger part is I live in RI. The device was shipped to my home in RI and even though I had thought of opening it and configuring it for her before going to MN so she would be able to use the device right away I didn’t as I figured that may diminish her experience of receiving the gift. So I didn’t open the iPad and opted to assist her in setting it up in MN to benefit her for familiarity purposes. She is connected to WiFi all the time so she does have an active internet connection but the location using Rhode Island as the default is strange. Anyone here experienced anything similar?

Her router is probably listed in the location database as being in Rhode Island.

Feb 5, 2011 9:45 AM in response to Prof Tournesol

I am not so sure that is the case as my father checks the weather on his laptop and it defaults his location somewhat correct to their region (Grand Forks, ND some 140+ miles away). I didn't log into their router to check any settings so I am not able to say for certain what the configuration is. Furthermore, they just got the wireless router/modem (DSL) installed from the ISP (Wiktel) this last fall to replace a faulted one. It would seem strange that the installer would set RI as the location of a router for a customer located in MN paying for a service from a MN based company. It doesn't add up. At the end of the day I just ended having my mother set the location for weather channel manually as that is the only app she uses location for. I was just inquiring if anyone had seen a location mismatch that drastic (1700+ miles).

Feb 5, 2011 10:54 AM in response to lmack769

As of yet, nobody here has found out how to update or add routers to Apple location database. Could it have been that the router was in Grand Forks when the Apple added it to their database. To location is tied to the router so if the router moves, the ipad will report the location based on the Apple database which may not match the router location if the router was moved since Apple added it to their database.

Feb 12, 2011 2:36 PM in response to lllaass

I have the same problem. I think Apple dropped the ball on this one. People don't stay put, they move. More and more people are going to have this problem. Apple should really update their database otherwise the Location Services and the other applications that rely on it will became useless and the Apple devices will loose a lot of their charm. Bad one Apple!

Feb 25, 2011 11:46 AM in response to Prof Tournesol

I agree Apple screwed up on this...... There is a location database of wireless routers which you can get updated (I found a link on here) as it was showing at my old address and i've moved since it just took a few weeks to sort it.

However I went to London a couple of weeks ago and used the Hotel wifi and great it picked me up in London but now I'm at home back on my own Wifi network it still thinks I'm in London.

I've tried all sorts 😟

Oct 24, 2011 2:18 AM in response to Prof Tournesol

Responding to an old thread here, but this is because of the way applications that use location services also use the data from Skyhook...

Skyhook is a service that records the MAC addresses of Cell Base stations/towers and wireless access points.

Google Maps vehicles records the wireless AP data at the same time they get street view images.

There was some controversy over this - but they effectively record the location and the MAC address of any AP they find as they drive round. This gets sent to a massive database at Skyhook and is used to either locate without GPS or enhance/aid the GPS information. It's also why the location is always the road outside!

If your location/MAC relationship has not been mapped by Skyhook, Google or others - then the good news is that you can add it - although it can take a month or two at least - to work. The reason is that it depends which database is being used by Skyhook's clients..

Add your Wireless Access Point (or Wireless Router) here: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php

The main website for Skyhook is here: http://www.skyhookwireless.com

Hope that helps...!

😎

Mar 3, 2013 7:55 AM in response to Prof Tournesol

Could someone help me about my problem? Since I bought my iPad 4th gen I haven't used my maps more often because I'm not a fan of it. And then just lately I found out when i checked the app, it cannot determine my location even though I already turned on all necessary buttons on the privacy setting. And I just can't check in on Facebook. And I did reset my ipad already and nothing's changed, it still can't determine my location. What must I do? It really bothers me. Thanks for upcoming help.

Mar 3, 2013 7:58 AM in response to Gideon01

For location the wifi only iPad uses the location nearby wifi routers that are in Apple's data base. You do not have to be connect to the router.

Thus, it appears that the router the iPod is using does not have the correct location in Apple's database. Apple continuously updates their database based on data it obtains from iPhones. No one has found a way to tell apple to correct/add a wifi router to their database

If you go to Starbucks or other public place with wifi does the iPad show its correct location?

Location services on Ipad not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.