Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to upgrade from 10.4.11 to 10.5.8 - is there an application online

I just bought an iPad and it is crazy how you have to get on a computer and set the thing up. I just want to use it without all of this crap. Anyway, can I get a free upgrade to 10.5.8 online? Then it says that my iTunes needs to be upgraded to 9.1, but I already have 9.2.1, what is up with all of this? I wish this iPad just came ready. Any help on these upgrades that I need to do?????

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Posted on Dec 24, 2010 4:41 PM

7 replies

Dec 24, 2010 5:15 PM in response to DebbieDavis

If you already are running Mac OS X 10.5.x, where x is some number less than 8, then yes, the update to 10.5.8 is free, and available here:
http://support.apple.com/downloads/MacOS_X_10_5_8_ComboUpdate

If you are running Mac OS X 10.4.x or below, you will need to purchase an upgrade. You can call Apple Phone Sales (you may have to wait now until Sunday--800 MY APPLE) and order a retail copy of Leopard 10.5. Make sure you're clear that that's what you want, as your G5 can't run the newer Snow Leopard, 10.6. Once the 10.5 disc arrives, install the new OS and run the Software Update to make sure all of your Apple software updates to the newest available versions.

Dec 25, 2010 7:24 AM in response to Jay Bullock

I have a similar issue with a Gen 4 iPod Touch, a Christmas gift for my daughter. Understand I need to upgrade, but I have a few questions.

First, Leopard is not listed for sale in the Apple Store online. Only Snow Leopard which is for Intel Macs. Is Leopard still available from Apple?

Second, I've been through a change in OS before with disastrous results. I was never able to get it to work properly, and it ended up being a complete waste of money and time, so I have always been leery of upgrading OS ever since. My specific fear this time is that if I upgrade the OS, what happens to my existing apps like Microsoft Office X, Quicken 2004 for Mac, Internet Explorer 5.2, etc. Do I just lose it all, and have to upgrade everything at a huge expense of money and time?

Dec 25, 2010 8:20 AM in response to Jira

Leopard is still available from Apple phone sales, 800 MY APPLE in the US. Your applications should still all work, though I'm not sure about IE. Microsoft dropped Mac support for IE five or six years ago (i.e., they stopped fixing bugs and security holes), and if you can, you should probably move to Safari or Firefox for browsing.

Dec 25, 2010 9:00 AM in response to Jira

Jira,

Before upgrading, it is advisable for you to purchase an external hard drive and clone your system over to it(either with Carbon Copy Cloner or another application). That way if something goes wrong, you can just boot off the cloned system and be back up and running in no time.

Also, why are you still using Explorer 5.2? There are many better browsers out there now that are more secure than Internet Explorer 5.2.

Dec 25, 2010 9:06 AM in response to Grant Greene

Sometimes you have no choice. My Intuit payroll service supports only Explorer. I was able to switch to Firefox with no problems, but it is not officially supported.

I already use Super Duper to back up, but what about my older apps. Is buying my daughter an iPod going to cost me hundreds of dollars more, or will Leopard allow me to use the older apps?

Dec 25, 2010 9:20 AM in response to Jira

You will have to visit the developers' website and see if those apps will run under 10.5.8. I haven't had any problem with any compatibility issues, but your mileage may very.

Another option is to install 10.5.8 on an external drive and just boot to that when your daughter needs to do something on the iPod.

Message was edited by: Grant Greene

Need to upgrade from 10.4.11 to 10.5.8 - is there an application online

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.