Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect tv out cable on iPad?

So I'm struggling to figure out how to connect my iPad to my tv so I can watch movies. I bought a tv out cable, which has 3 plugs for video (green, blue, red) and 2 for audio (white, red). I have a vizio hd tv with ,multiple places to plug it in... So what do I do?

What setting does the tv have to be on? Do I also need an hdmi cable? I tried unplugging all the av cords that go from my cable box to the tv and plugging in my iPad into the tv, but I got nothing. Does my iPad need to be on a certain setting? Please help...

iPad, iOS 4

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 2:34 PM

9 replies

Dec 29, 2010 2:42 PM in response to Sbadders

First, we can't offer suggestions regarding the appropriate cable to use to connect your TV without knowing what inputs it has. If you'll post the exact model number of your TV, perhaps then someone can suggest whether you have the correct cable or not. The iPad currently can support VGA, component (which is the cable you have) and composite video; your TV has to have one of those.

Regards.

Dec 29, 2010 4:27 PM in response to Sbadders

From your description you have the Component AV Cable, which is used to connect to Component inputs on your tv. If you look on the back you should be able to easily tell whether or not your tv supports that setup; most newer ones will. If all else fails you could read your tv set's manual ....

There is HDMI connection from the iPad. The highest resolution possible would be around 720, I think, using the VGA cabling. With composite or component you get 480.

As for connecting:

A. Connect the dock connector to the iPad
B. Connect the 3 video cables to the COMPONENT IN plugs. Follow the labeling or the color coding or, again, read a manual.
C. Connect up the two audio cables. Follow the color coding.
D. Now start the video on your iPad. If the app you're in supports video out, and if what you're trying to play can be played, then you'll get some sort of an iPad message that video is being sent out. You won't see the content on the iPad display while it's playing. It will usually go dark, eventually.
E. Don't forget to change the tv's input setting. Either play with it to see where it is or, yes, see your set's manual.

Dec 30, 2010 6:27 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

Michael Morgan1 wrote:
There is HDMI connection from the iPad.

Someone's shipping one, Michael? I've seen one announced in Japan (though it seems to be available from a couple of vendors), but it's not shipping yet, from what I can tell, and no plans to export have been announced. If you know of an HDMI adapter that's available now, can you provide a URL?

Thanks and regards.

Dec 30, 2010 8:53 AM in response to varjak paw

Dave Sawyer wrote:
Michael Morgan1 wrote:
There is HDMI connection from the iPad.

Someone's shipping one, Michael? I've seen one announced in Japan (though it seems to be available from a couple of vendors), but it's not shipping yet, from what I can tell, and no plans to export have been announced. If you know of an HDMI adapter that's available now, can you provide a URL?

Thanks and regards.

Insert "no" between "is" and "HDMI". Sorry, poor editing.

As for the adapters and scaling, well ... sure, if you've just gotta use an HDMI input into your tv. To my mind, though, most people will be wanting to use HDMI iot get their screen up to 1080 standards, and you just can't get more than 480 or 720 (with VGA) out of the iPad.

I recall some rumor about some sort of a combined adapter/upconverter being developed in Japan which, supposedly, will deliver the "... Full HD Experience!...", but as of now I think it's still dreamware.

Message was edited by: Michael Morgan1

Jan 9, 2011 2:29 PM in response to varjak paw

Can't offer suggestions what cable to use ??? My tv has pretty much all connections I can think of, now then, which cables will allow me to connect my iPad to my tv and watch

A) movies and tv shows purchased from store on my iPad or ipod , my old iPod will show all movies and shows etc using the simple (video,stereo left and right) on tv, the iPad will only have sound but no video

B) do I need apple tv to watch movies I purchased at the apple store on my tv ?

How is it possible it is so difficult to see my purchased movies on my iPad and display them on a standard tv
Dissapointed in apple,
Thanks

Jan 9, 2011 3:18 PM in response to axelkueter

axelkueter wrote:
Can't offer suggestions what cable to use ??? My tv has pretty much all connections I can think of, now then, which cables will allow me to connect my iPad to my tv and watch

That has already been asked and answered several times in this thread. If you have all the connections, then you can use any set Apple sells for the iPad. Equivalent non-OEM sets might also work.
A) movies and tv shows purchased from store on my iPad or ipod , my old iPod will show all movies and shows etc using the simple (video,stereo left and right) on tv, the iPad will only have sound but no video

Sometimes it is a DRM issue, other times results from attempting to watch an HD rental using cables that don't support HDCP (the VGA one, in this case), sometimes it results from people trying to feed HD content to a non-HD TV.
B) do I need apple tv to watch movies I purchased at the apple store on my tv ?

No, not really. I have no problems watching either rented or purchase content using the Composite AV kit to connect to the tv.
How is it possible it is so difficult to see my purchased movies on my iPad and display them on a standard tv
Dissapointed in apple,

Sorry for the disappointment but, if I can assume you're using the term 'standard' correctly, and also that that means asmopposes to HDTV, then are you sure your content is SD and not HD?

Jan 10, 2011 5:56 AM in response to Michael Morgan1

More peril in the I want to watch my iPad/iTunes stuff on my TV realm.

I'm sure many of you have seen this already.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/noosy-hdmi-adapter-for-ipad-iphon e-4-ipod-touch-4g/
It's a review of a 3rd party accessory for the iPad/iTouches HDMI adapter.

It's not made by Apple but in the spirit of Apple it's over priced around 60 bucks. I think the review say it won't play content with that stupid FairPlay bull crap on it like the VGA Adapter does. Seems like the only viable option unless you want to buy a scaler which cost more or an Apple TV which costs more too.

How to connect tv out cable on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.