Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sidebar in finder window has unresponsive icons and resets after logout or

Since I upgraded to 10.6.5 when I open my finder window, the "places" items all look like they are there, but when clicked they are unresponsive. I have thrown them off the sidebar "poof", then added the originals back, which works perfectly, until I restart, upon restart all the places folders in the sidebar that aren't working are locked up again and the sidebar has reverted to its original non working status with the same "places" available as before the replacements, still non responsive.

I have read many forums and tried the solutions described (only found one of those, the toss and replace, but the problem persists.

also other than the com.apple.finder.plist file in the user preferences, is there any other file regarding the finder that can be removed and will reset itself? com.apple.finder.plist when removed does not replace itself on restart.

Help Please!!! My sidebar is useless right now.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Jan 5, 2011 5:29 PM

9 replies

Feb 11, 2011 1:33 PM in response to tricky question

Me too, to all of the above. No matter what I do, I can't make my custom changes to the sidebar stick after restart. I can't even rename an alias--directly, or by changing the name of the original. I recall the sidebar always be problematic where it's "memory" was concerned, but this is really aggravating. I feel like I'm missing something basic, like there's an invisible system file somewhere that's become disconnected from the active settings prefs.

This is a brand new MacBook Pro running latest version of Snow Leopard, to which I migrated all content and settings from my old MacBook Pro, if that helps.

Feb 18, 2011 7:48 PM in response to Amystoneus

update

so the obvious
I needed to delete user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebar.plist

I've done that and now I only have the following under Places in the sidebar:
Desktop
User
Applications
Documents

If I add folders to the sidebar, when I log back in it reverts to just the four above

For some reason Finder is not saving the edits to the sidebar
how do I fix this?

Feb 19, 2011 4:59 PM in response to Ssyzzyggy

Yeah, the obvious, d'oh/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic_ __/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/migration-images /migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not- avail.png/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbssta tic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/migration-im ages/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img- not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sb sstatic___/migration-images/migration-img-not-avail.png/___sbsstatic___/migratio n-images/migration-img-not-avail.pngUser uploaded file Problem solved. 🙂

sidebar in finder window has unresponsive icons and resets after logout or

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.