Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD VS LAPTOP

A very simple question but I am not sure if it is a simple answer:

Can and iPad replace a laptop entirely?

Thanks

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 150 GB

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 3:30 AM

11 replies

Jan 15, 2011 4:11 AM in response to Lewisb1

Great analogy from Rudegar.

To add to what he has said, if you rely on software like MS Office you will have some problems with an iPad-only approach. The iPad version of the iWork programs has been dumbed down and only allows limited capability...not surprising considering the processor speed (1 GHz) and memory (256 MB). But the iPad Pages will read and save in the .doc format.

If you need to install software, the iPad will not allow you to do so. You can only install software downloaded from the app store.

On the other hand, I seldom carry my laptop now. Always carry my iPad. The only time I take the laptop is when I know I will need to transfer large files, copy presentations, make presentations (although you can do that with an iPad with the right equipment), etc. The iPad carries my calender now. It does my email now. But there are things I like a laptop for, such as typing this response on a real keyboard. Larger, faster, and less prone to errors.

Hope this helps.
Ralph

Jan 15, 2011 5:26 AM in response to Lewisb1

A simple answer to your simple question... No. The iPad is made to work in conjunction with a computer. There are many, many times when I only use my iPad all day and never have a real need to use my MacBook, but ultimately I will need to backup and sync my iPad.

They are amazing devices but were never intended to take the place of a computer. They do have limitations and do not have the capability of a computer. I agree with rudegar and Ralph but the most important point is that the iPad is worthless at some point without having the computer to sync, backup or restore - Limitations of the device not withstanding.

Jan 15, 2011 1:37 PM in response to Lewisb1

I think it depends a lot upon what you use the laptop for. I have almost completely replaced my laptop with my iPad for all trips. This includes email, internet, entertainment (video, music & games), Word and Excel use. I use DocumentsToGo not Pages etc. Been using their product for almost ten years across several platforms and have been very happy.

The weight and size benefits over a older style 17" 3Kg laptop are enourmous. Even the power adapter is smaller and less obtrusive. If you use an iPhone or iPod, its even the same one.

About the only think that is disappointing is the lack of camera for skype (who knows... iPad 2??) for contacting family while away.

And it would be great if Blizzard ported WoW to it (hahahaha!)

Jan 15, 2011 3:33 PM in response to BlueVFR

I am curious, do you have a home computer like an imac or a pc? If you have something like that at home to sync with, then depending on your needs, an ipad might replace a laptop. If you have a computer at home and want a mobile internet browser with email, games, and music then an ipad is WAY better than a laptop. I use my ipad so much more than my laptop. The only reason I have a laptop is for video editing away from the office (where I edit on an imac). For 90% of the population, I think an ipad CAN replace a laptop if they have a desktop at home. But like they said, it is not a stand alone product.

I have never used a macbook air. They seem way too cool for me to be near... I know I would want one if I actually used one. The biggest draw to me is the solid state drive... I can't wait for 3 or 4 years when all we use are SSD.

IPAD VS LAPTOP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.