Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Printing without a AirPrint compatible printer possible?

We don't have an AirPrint compatible printer in our WiFi network. The computers are Windows XP Professional.

Is there any app that will allow to print over my existing network to existing printers?

iPad, iOS 4, PC XP Pro

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 6:15 PM

15 replies

Jul 22, 2011 4:45 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris,

Then best app I found is one called Fingerprint. I don't have one of the listed AirPrint compatible printers but my printer is fairly new and works great. I tried several of the other app's and seemedmto always have a problem getting it to consistently allow me to print. I tried Fingerprint for 10 days free and it worked flawlessly so i purchased it and haven't had any problems. The app can be found at Colobos Software. I believe it is www.Colobos.com

If that isn't correct look for FingerPrint or Colobos. Support was good but I only had questions, not problems.

I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

Regards,

Bob

Oct 13, 2011 8:18 PM in response to LossAngeles

LossAngeles wrote:

While I respect your choice I think it's utterly rediculous to have to purchase an app to send data to a wireless printer from the iPhone. Apple needs to get this together. It's a laughing joke that iOs 5 still doesn't support this basic function.

iOS (since 4.3.2) does support this basic function.

It's up to the printer manufacter to support AirPrint.

FYI: You can use AirPrint Activator (free) on your Mac to enable printing to non-AirPrint capable printers.

Oct 29, 2011 5:40 AM in response to Bobh1072

It's possible to use free software (Virtualbox and Ubuntu) to fix the broken iOS 5 Airprint printing with non supported printers. Here's a fix that works on my imac, but should also work on even a windows pc.

My setup is a lion imac with 2 non-airprint supported usb printers attached, a belkin wifi router that provides network connectivity for my imac, ipad, and iphone.

Install ubuntu 11.10 in a virtualbox vm. Specify to use the "Bridged Adapter" with "en1: WiFi (AirPort)" for the network hardware. Make sure the imac's usb printers are setup with sharing. On ubuntu, select System Settings > Printers and add your imac's shared printers to the list. Then start ubuntu's firefox and set "localhost:631" in the address. On the administration tab, under the Server section, check "Share printers connected to this system" and hit Change Settings button to activate it. Go back to ubuntu's printer setup, and right click on each printer and check that the properties Policies tab does not have any messages about it being unshared. If so, then go back to firefox and make sure the Server sharing checkbox is enabled. It may help to reboot.

Fire up virtualbox to be able to use AirPort printing to your imac's usb printers, when you want to print from the iphone or ipad. This also works on iOS 5.

Only problem is error message from iphone to check the printer for errors, even though it actually prints ok.

Mar 22, 2013 11:25 AM in response to drennman10

I have a non compatible Brother printer. I installed a free app called netgear genie on my mac.

http://download.cnet.com/NETGEAR-Genie/3000-2651_4-75803003.html

I can now print from my iphone/ipad from any app. e.g. email, ibooks (or any pdf app), notes, photos, etc.

All this time I thought I could not print but did some research and voilà!

Hopefully this helps....

Mar 22, 2013 11:26 AM in response to drennman10

I have a non compatible Brother printer. I installed a free app called netgear genie on my mac.

I can now print from my iphone/ipad from any app. e.g. email, ibooks (or any pdf app), notes, photos, etc.

Hopefully this helps....

Mar 22, 2013 11:26 AM in response to LossAngeles

Hopefully this helps....

Is Printing without a AirPrint compatible printer possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.