Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new Macbook Pro with a nice ding in it right out of box!

I just bought a brand new 15" Macbook Pro the other day from the online store w/ the high res, anti glare display, and it had a nice ding in it right out of the box! It kind of makes you wonder what goes on at Apple's factories as I've read several other stories about people with dings, scratches, dents, chips on their Macs right out of the box. It also makes you wonder how these items get treated during the shipping process? Needless to say I'm gonna exchange it, and if the replacement has any marks on it, I'm getting a refund. I know these are minor cosmetic flaws, but I have no patience for stuff like this when you're paying $2000 for any item. Anyone else have similar experiences?

iMac G5 Power PC

Posted on Jan 22, 2011 8:36 AM

12 replies

Jan 22, 2011 9:13 AM in response to duffmanth

When I got my Late 2008 MacBook Pro, The graphics card was glitching on the iTunes visualizer and at other random times.

I setup a Genius Bar appointment, They gladly replaced the necessary parts completely under warranty.

Apple is known as one of the best, if not the best customer service companies out there, That's because of their dedication to making sure the customer is happy.

You shouldn't have any problems getting your machine fixed/replaced.

Jan 22, 2011 9:33 AM in response to duffmanth

eww is exactly right.

I had a similar experience with my 17" MBP. Opened the box and saw the bezel was dented near the iSight camera. The rest of the bezel was peeling away from the glass at the bottom of the display (antiglare model).

I took the machine straight in to a Genius Bar and they hooked me up with a brand new machine immediately. (This is a BTO MBP, so it took a few days to get it, but they had it shipped to the Apple Store and I kept the broken one until it arrived.)

Jan 23, 2011 7:50 AM in response to stone_soup

The percentage of new-in-the-box MBPs that have visible physical damage is undoubtedly way too small for it to be worthwhile for stores and resellers to open every box and risk misplacing some of the contents or actually damaging something in the process. But that's not to say it wouldn't be smart for the individual purchaser to open his or her box in the store and inspect the merchandise with a salesperson. That's a fine idea, as long as everything gets back into the box afterward.

Of course it's no help to those who order their configured-to-order machines online.

Jan 23, 2011 5:04 PM in response to eww

The reason I had to order mine online was because it was a custom configured 15" with the high res, anti glare screen. I went to my local Apple store and they said the only 15" model with that screen upgrade they had in stock was a top of the line 15" that cost $2600, plus our ******** 14% sales tax we pay here in Canada. Why they would only carry a top of the line model with that particular screen is completely ridiculous to me, they should keep at least a few models on hand with that screen option at all price points. Now I have to another week for them to get this crap straightened out.

Brand new Macbook Pro with a nice ding in it right out of box!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.