Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to zap PRAM

I am not getting the three chimes when I do a PRAM cleaning (Option Apple+PR), I am only hearing two chimes and then the Mac logo comes up and the desktop image appears. Can someone give me some advice as to why this is happening? Thanks!

Susan

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 31, 2011 5:04 PM

9 replies

Jan 31, 2011 5:09 PM in response to sus_see

Hi Susan, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

Are you trying to zap it 3 times?

Are you continuing to hold the 4 keys down until it does it?

PRAM reset, CMD Option+pr...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Jan 31, 2011 7:08 PM in response to BDAqua

yes, I'm holding all four keys down immediately upon starting up the computer. The 1st startup chime rings, then a short bit later the 2nd chime, then the Apple appears, then the desktop appears, my two app's that I have open at startup (mail & calendar) open up but still only two chimes have rung even though I'm still holding all 4 keys down.

Jan 31, 2011 8:15 PM in response to BDAqua

okedokey, I think the resetting the SMC worked but I also think my wireless keyboard was/is a culprit. After I did the SMC reset I decided to use the laptop keypad for the PRAM cleaning instead of the wireless board and the computer did its three chimes. I then tried (after the SMC reset) the wireless just out of curiosity and it did not work so apparently something is screwy there.

And my CD/DVD reader is accepting discs again which is why I was trying to do the PRAM cleaning in the first place (figured it couldn't hurt) so hopefully I can breathe a sigh of relief now. 🙂

Unable to zap PRAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.