Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Self Assigned IP address connection problem

Hi everyone

I bought an MBP in December 2011, 13'' running MACOSX10.6.6

I have very stable connections at home and various locations including public WiFi connections, hotels etc but cannot get a connection to my Work's WiFi.

At work we have several wireless access points which are linked to our buildings server, however when I try to connect my Macbook to the network the airport bar says it has a self assigned IP address and cannot connect to the internet. We have reset the wireless routers at work, and other devices manage to interact with the network and connect to the internet no problem.. just the Macbook won't connect.

To try and fix I have tried renewind the DHCP lease however it has no effect on the problem.

Any suggestions anyone?

Message was edited by: andy.burland

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 12:27 PM

61 replies

Feb 1, 2011 12:53 PM in response to andy.burland

Is the MBP even seeing the WiFi Network (does network show up in list of Airport Menu when Airport is turned on? If not have you tried adding it manually (Network Preferences->Airport->Advanced then add it in the Airport tab).

Is the WiFi network broadcasting it's SSID? For whatever reason my MBP would not connect to our home wireless unless it was broadcasting (but would connect to others that were not broadcasting just by adding the network info in Advanced settings.

This is an obvious question, but is the WiFi network filtering MAC addresses or anything like that?

Since the MBP is working with other WiFi networks one would think it is something about the configuration of this particular network.

Feb 1, 2011 1:28 PM in response to gbullman

Hi there

1) The MBP is recognising the network, and upon entry of the network password connects but then gives a message saying NO IP, this then switches to SELF ASSIGNED IP.

2) The WiFi is broadcasting it's SSID, other windows based laptops and devices can connect, including my iPhone.

3) The network does not filter MAC addresses, my previous MB (Titanium) worked fine on this network, it seems to be a localised issue with this particular machine.

Mar 17, 2011 4:57 AM in response to Murrin

I have the same problem, the airport connect to my school wifi, but the router doesnot give out the ip for it and the airport turn to self assigned ip.
I have dual boot on my mbp but when i boot on window 7. It was still cant connect to the wifi.
I brought it two times to the technology center of the school. They took me an hour for each time. But still cant fix it.
I tried to ask them restart their rounter but the guy said he have no permistion to do that. I have to wait he will figure out the problem. He said it is not about my airport problem but the also not there rounter cause other laptop either macbook or window laptop can assest to the network easily.
But actually my laptop just cant receive the IP from the school wifi only. It doesnot happen with other network such as my home network, starbuck wifi, my work place.

Mar 20, 2011 6:21 PM in response to bdavid04

I would also like help - I have the same issue. Particulars -

Bought a new Macbook Air 3 days ago for my wife (not sure exact model but has 13 inch screen and 256 gig flash drive).

We are living in a hotel serviced apt at the moment, computer connected fine to the internet and worked for two days. Sunday morning it would not connect. My VAIO laptop couldn't either, had to reboot then connected (the VAIO) fine.

Ther MBAir would not - I searched the forums and tried all the fixes suggested (removing Airport etc) and no luck. Its not an option to reboot the Hotel's system every time this happens.

I took the MBAir to starbucks and it connected fine. My wife's old macbook connects fine in the hotel it is just the MBAir that wont.

Please help - I'm nto a Mac guy so if you could be as specific as possible that would be helpful. Is it useful at all to call support?

Mar 28, 2011 2:44 AM in response to andy.burland

Hi, I am having the EXACT same problem but only on my home network. I live in a lodging house and dont have access to the router BUT they have reset it since I have been having this problem and no joy. My old MBP worked fine on it so I know it's not a mac issue and everyone else can connect fine... and now my iphone says it cant connect either! I think it has to be something with the new OS because it only started when I got this new MBP and my iphone was connecting fine until one day I 'forgot' the network on my iphone and when I tried reconnecting it wouldn't work anymore 😟
So now I have no internet via wifi at all at home, it's running up my iphone data and I am really annoyed! It's been happening since I got the new mac in february and have tried everything I read online and no luck so far. I have to use it at college and cafes but really think I should be able to at home too!
PLEASE HELP! 🙂
Thanks.

Apr 1, 2011 12:44 AM in response to lizzyblue

Hi all

Sorry it's taken me a small age to get back to you! Thinks have been very busy.

Basically: no, it hasn't been solved, however I have noted the following:

Last Friday I bought an iPad 2, which is experiencing exactly the same problem on the WiFi at work. My iPhone 3GS however does not.

Now from this, I'm guessing older device = no problem. New device = problem.

I don't know if anyone has any other suggestions from this? But I find it most strange that my iPhone works, yet MBP and iPad 2 wont.

shrug

Apr 5, 2011 10:32 AM in response to andy.burland

I just purchased a 17" Macbook Pro and it works great on WiFi except that I am currently at a coffee shop and encountered this identical problem. Starts with no IP message, then selects a DHCP address and tells me that it has the "self-assigned IP address of X and will not be able to connect to the Internet." Must be a problem with the coffee shop's router, but for some strange reason my backup 13" Macbook (an older 2007 model) connects just fine on the same network. Any ideas what's behind this problem? Why does he network work on some devices like my Macbook and iPhone and not the newer Macbook Pro?

Macbook Self Assigned IP address connection problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.