Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 Screen Protector or Not?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched but couldn't find it...

I have had several different screen protectors and none of them seem to be any good, I've tried cheap ones & expensive ones and found them all to be crap! I also bought a Tech21 iMesh case, but when the case is on, the screen protector peels at the edges.

So, with the fancy glass that Apple have used to the screen, do I really need to protect it? I normally carry my phone in my pocket with change and sometimes my keys. The screen on my unprotected N95, never got badly marked...but I'm right unlucky!

What do you guys think? Can I get away without the protector or is there one that does what it says on the tin & fits with the iMesh?

Cheers,

Me

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2011 3:39 PM

hello bakedbeanbomber

ive always liked the really cheap ebay screen protectors, you know the 6 for 2.99 or what have you. when i had my 2nd gen itouch i used two protectors, one was a pretty expensive Casemate the sales associate duped me into buying and the other was one of the ebay ones, the ebay one stayed better, diddnt curl up or peel like the expensive thicker ones did and lasted longer.

ive tried the ZAGG ones and its way too thick which IMHO makes the swift glide feel of an iphone feel like the roughness of a droid. on my iphone4 i was super scared of scratches and such so i bought some of the ebay protectors (cheaper price, you get alot so if you mess up its no big problem) and an initial case to protect the back glass. the protector has lasted me since july last year, has never peeled and ive used an array of different cases. recently i changed it to a new one due to how scratched it has gotten (also do to keys change, picks and all the random things that collect in pockets ) and my screen was flawless.

The subject of "the fancy glass that Apple have used for the screen"
as fancy or resistant as they market the screen eveything scratches, i work in optometry and if we had clear enough lens protectors for glasses i would definately recomend them.

i now use a screen protector for the front, a nice vinyl sticker for the back (which they sell on ebay as well for like 4 bucks and they have some cool designs) and when i feel like i might be in a situation where i could drop my phone i put on my bumper its still very sleek very thin and feels great. the protectors and stickers peel right off not leaving a trace and do a **** of a job against scratches.

thanks for reading this super long response haha (sorry if i bored you)
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2011 3:39 PM in response to bakedbeanbomber

hello bakedbeanbomber

ive always liked the really cheap ebay screen protectors, you know the 6 for 2.99 or what have you. when i had my 2nd gen itouch i used two protectors, one was a pretty expensive Casemate the sales associate duped me into buying and the other was one of the ebay ones, the ebay one stayed better, diddnt curl up or peel like the expensive thicker ones did and lasted longer.

ive tried the ZAGG ones and its way too thick which IMHO makes the swift glide feel of an iphone feel like the roughness of a droid. on my iphone4 i was super scared of scratches and such so i bought some of the ebay protectors (cheaper price, you get alot so if you mess up its no big problem) and an initial case to protect the back glass. the protector has lasted me since july last year, has never peeled and ive used an array of different cases. recently i changed it to a new one due to how scratched it has gotten (also do to keys change, picks and all the random things that collect in pockets ) and my screen was flawless.

The subject of "the fancy glass that Apple have used for the screen"
as fancy or resistant as they market the screen eveything scratches, i work in optometry and if we had clear enough lens protectors for glasses i would definately recomend them.

i now use a screen protector for the front, a nice vinyl sticker for the back (which they sell on ebay as well for like 4 bucks and they have some cool designs) and when i feel like i might be in a situation where i could drop my phone i put on my bumper its still very sleek very thin and feels great. the protectors and stickers peel right off not leaving a trace and do a **** of a job against scratches.

thanks for reading this super long response haha (sorry if i bored you)

Feb 13, 2011 5:02 PM in response to bakedbeanbomber

i bought the power support HD at the apple store as soon as i got my phone and i think it's great. i was planning on buying a zagg but they didn't have it. anyway, i don't remember how the retina display looked without it, but it looks good with it and the protector is smooth as silk to the touch.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H2330LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0NA&mco=MTg5MTgzMjc

Feb 15, 2011 7:43 AM in response to iinami

Great question....I asked it at the Genius Bar while solving an unrelated network problem. The tech took the phone out of his pocket with his keys, said it was a few months old, polished up the unprotected screen and we could not find even the slightest scratch. He went on to say that the only protectors that they sell are ones for anti-glare. He said that the back panel is not as hard as the front glass, and recommended a case or shell that covers the back. So the short answer is "the gorilla glass is supposed to be hard as a rock, why spend the money unless you need non-glare..." By the way, I've had my ipad for a long time and don't have a screen protector on that either.....

Feb 15, 2011 7:55 AM in response to bakedbeanbomber

IMO the only ones worth buying are the Zagg Invisible Shield and the SGP Ultra Crystal. I've used both and they are great, slight edge goes to the Zagg though I'd say. That's what I have on right now.

I scratched the screen on my original iPhone and 3G (each from a single drop) so my 4 got a screen protector right out of the box.

Message was edited by: Randy Fast

iPhone 4 Screen Protector or Not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.