Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and iPad loses WiFi connection

I have an iPhone 4, and an iPad. We have 2 other iPhone 3GS and one more iPad in the house. We have a problem with WiFi. All iOS devices connect fine to our home wireless network. But very often devices lose connection to the WiFi.

Typical scenario is, I come home from work, my iPhone or iPad connects fine to the network, and I can work all I want on wireless. If I stop using the device, and leaves it alone for some time, and then picks up the device again, the icon on device says it is connected to WiFi - but it does not work. All actions on WiFi time out. Sonos tells me no Sonos devices are within range, Safari cannot find any web pages, apps cannot connect to servers etc.

If I stop the WiFi on iPhone / iPad, and starts it again, iPhone or iPad connects to home network, and works again. Also selecting "Renew lease" for the wireless gets it working again.

But it is very frustrating. ALL devices have this problem, some more often than others. At the moment my iPhone4 and iPad fall out 3-10 times a day.

My Wireless router is a Cisco (Linksys) WRVS4400n R2 on latest firmware (2.0.1.3). I don't see any problems in the wireless settings - but maybe I'm wrong.

We also have 5 PC's using same wireless, none of these have any problems with our wireless network.

iPhone 4, iPad, iOS 4

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 2:03 PM

40 replies

Feb 28, 2011 11:29 AM in response to catman2u

Our problem is, the iPhone / iPad shows the wireless icon, telling it is connected to te wireless network, but it isn't. So the iPhone / iPad does not connect to 3G / EDGE, since it believes it is connected to the wireless network. So all acivities, browsing, mail collection etc. time-out.

Switching off and on wireless, or selecting to renew lease fixes the problem, but I don't want to do this 5-10 times a day.

Mar 1, 2011 7:40 AM in response to IFeelGood

I am going to have to try a few of those tips...my issue is a bit similar.

No settings were changed prior to my issue...

Came home, iPhone4 typically picks up my wifi in my driveway.

Standing right next to it I can't get wifi to stay connected. In settings it shows that it is connected and sees wifi in my neighborhood but I can't get an icon. Youtube icon can't connect and timed out. Reset network, reset cache, even did a FULL RESTORE which was an hour of my life I'll never get back and still zip.

THE ONLY TIME i got the icon for a moment was when I went to settings/network and the page where you choose to "tether" or not I see the icon for a moment and as soon as I try to open a browser or youtube I lose the icon. Driving me nuts and tech help kept putting me in the same circles to no avail.

Mar 23, 2011 4:24 PM in response to IFeelGood

I was seeing the same thing with my new iPhone (but not my touch). I know this came from another user here but I'm not sure which one. Take a look at your encryption setting.

Mine was set to WPA2 TKIP-AES and I was getting a few "connected, but not responding" problems which were cured by turning the WiFi off then back on.

Last night, I modified my settings in my router so I was using WPA2 AES. So far, the halts have stopped. I'm going to continue to monitor for a few days before I add this to my recommended list.

Mar 24, 2011 2:00 PM in response to luvlabs

Exactly the same problem for me. Good to read that I am not the only one.
As a test, I have swithched off security on my network and everything was then fine. That's not a great solution though and with regards to the message above I am not sure I can change to something else that WPA2-PSK.

That's a bit of a shame for the iPhone not to be ale to connect seamlessly.

Message was edited by: morphi

Message was edited by: morphi

Mar 28, 2011 5:53 PM in response to IFeelGood

We have two gen1 iPads (64gb and 32gb), and an iPod touch that just recently started having this same problem. When I first turn it on, the first app I go to connects fine (i.e. email), but then when I go to a second or third app, or go back to the first app, I suddenly don't have a connection, even though the icon indicates that I'm connected.

Very frustrating!

Mar 28, 2011 7:04 PM in response to GoodKarma

My iPhone 3G (3.1.2) does something similar, though the symptoms are not consistent. They include:
• no wifi (usually no wifi icon) even though under Settings -> Wifi the home (or office) network is listed;
• wifi usually for a short period after a restart;
• sometimes all network information under Settings -> Wifi -> home network (IP address and so on) disappears; choosing "Renew Lease" brings back all the information for a few seconds, before it disappears again;
• usually the phone does not switch to the data network, which it normally would when no wifi is available.

This has been going on for a few days. Resetting network settings, turning on and off wifi, or renewing lease does not help. The only thing is a restart, and even that only works for a few minutes. I have not tried a restore. The iPhone is essentially useless for anything requiring an internet connection.

Apr 3, 2011 7:07 PM in response to IFeelGood

Hi,

I thought I'd join in if only to commisserate! My mum and I both have 3GS phones. Strangely, hers connects to the home wifi just fine and will stay connected. With the exact same settings, mine doesn't. I've used 50mb of my 200mb. She's used 2mb!

I don't understand why my phone won't keep a hold of the wifi connection while hers does. Is this something that requires me to go back to the AT&T store for a fix? Or is it an Apple help issue? I'm new enough with these phones that I'm not even sure where to go or what to do now.

Thanks.

Apr 4, 2011 3:07 AM in response to casrin

Just adding my slight variation on the wifi issue

I have an iMac, a MacBook Pro, an iPhone 3GS and 4th gen iPod. All operate just fine on the home wifi, which is a time capsule.

But my iPad 1 has recently started losing wifi connectivity. It will usually happen when I use safari. The next page will refuse to load. The wifi symbol will be visible with two or three bars. The wheel will even be spinning. But the page will not load. I check the connection with a speed tester and there is no signal. But if I turn wifi off and on again, all is well again.

It doesn't seem to happen with email which is odd.

Hopefully this is a bug that can fixed with an upgrade - it seems to be iPad-only problem for me but can see that others have problems with iPhones

Thanks

iPhone and iPad loses WiFi connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.