Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To Engrave or Not Engrave?

When I received my iPad for Christmas, my husband had it engraved. I thought it was a nice, thoughtful touch. I'm getting him one for his 40th bday and I am having second thoughts on getting it engraved. Mainly because of what I read about it here:

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/26/apple-now-offering-ipad-engraving/

Has anyone got engraving done and had regrets? Or vice versa? I know it's a good way to show it belongs to you, but the link points out the negative aspects too.

Thanks

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2011 12:10 PM

If you think he'll return it don't get it engraved. Personally, I doubt he will want to return it. Also, if I was going to buy a used iPad, engraving wouldn't stop me unless it was something really awful.
14 replies

Mar 17, 2011 3:05 PM in response to trlyka

For me, engraving positively impacts my user experience. I'm very glad I had my iPad 2 engraved.

As for resale, there's a market niche out there (raises hand!) who would buy a used (and engraved) item in a heartbeat if you just knock something off the price to compensate.

But then, I've never ever purchased an Apple product thinking about resale. Or had any problems selling one.

Mar 24, 2011 9:09 AM in response to pvonk

pvonk wrote:
Yes, my wife has just gone through that issue. She decided to sell a number of items on eBay, a few ipods among them. Since I have traditionally engraved the email address (in case it's lost and someone wished to return it), but now, she had to remove the engravings. From now on, I'm not engraving.

Good point. I also opt for NOT engraving, unless the engraving is in the form of text graphics. For example, the only Apple device I've ever engraved was my iPod shuffle with the symbols:
\(^,^)/
which is an emoticon.

I think in that case, it's okay because there is no words attached and is just a "picture". Other than that, don't engrave. In any case, the font Apple has chosen for engraving is rather ugly.

To Engrave or Not Engrave?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.