Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 software update

hey i got a new iphone4 and it is factory unlocked and ios 4.1 is running on my iphone,so i want to know that if i update my ios4.1 version to ios4.3 then will it get locked or will it stay unlocked....
thanking you...

lenovo sl400, iOS 4, lenovo

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 3:47 AM

23 replies

Mar 23, 2011 3:50 AM in response to ujji

If it is a true, officially unlocked iPhone you will have no problem at all.

If it was unlocked through a hack it will relock to whatever carrier it was formerly connected to and you will have a brick.

Do you know where the iPhone was originally purchased from (such as an Apple Store in a country that sells unlocked iPhones) and do you have the receipt (which will show if it is unlocked or not)?

Mar 23, 2011 4:34 AM in response to ujji

sir i did not have the reciept so how can i know that it is factory unlocked or unlocked by sum other software,bt when i got this iphone the packet was fully sealed.
actly i got this from my uncle,he gave it to me,so right nw i dont hav any thing with which i can contact him.
so if you can sugst me dat how can i know that its factory unlocked or not.

Mar 23, 2011 5:16 AM in response to Tamara

sir when i activated my iphone then there is no cydia app installed on dis iphone but when i activatd my iphone 3gs then at that tim cydia was present.
so n the other iphone 4 which i have got also has cydia preinstalled on it.
so i want to know that cydia should be preinstalled on my iphone or not???

Mar 23, 2011 5:59 AM in response to ujji

ujji wrote:
sir when i activated my iphone then there is no cydia app installed on dis iphone but when i activatd my iphone 3gs then at that tim cydia was present.
so n the other iphone 4 which i have got also has cydia preinstalled on it.
so i want to know that cydia should be preinstalled on my iphone or not???

If Cydia is present on the iphone, that means that the phone has been jailbroken and possibly a hacked phone. If you do update that phone that has the Cydia on it, you will lose the jailbreak and you will lose that unlocking.

A factory unlocked iphone will remain unlocked even after you update the phone.

Mar 23, 2011 11:44 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:
If it was unlocked through a hack it will relock to whatever carrier it was formerly connected to and you will have a brick.

Don't post if you don't know what you're talking about. When you update or restore official firmware on a jailbroken iPhone, this is referred to as "re-virginizing" the iPhone, and does NOT brick it.

Mar 24, 2011 6:07 AM in response to EBSkater

I agree, don't post if you do not know what you are talking about. If he has an iPhone currently on iOS 4.1 working with his carrier in India and this particular phone was previously locked to, say, AT&T and it was unlocked through use of unofficial software, when it is updated to iOS 4.3 it will lock that particular phone back to the original carrier.

Maybe saying it will "brick" it was too much for you. Okay, it will again be locked to O2, it will not work for him in India, he will not even be able to use it as an iPod, but he can turn it on and look at it. Then he can wait for a hack to unofficially unlock it or he can contact O2 to officially unlock it.

Have any problem with this?

Mar 24, 2011 1:04 PM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:
I agree, don't post if you do not know what you are talking about. If he has an iPhone currently on iOS 4.1 working with his carrier in India and this particular phone was previously locked to, say, AT&T and it was unlocked through use of unofficial software, when it is updated to iOS 4.3 it will lock that particular phone back to the original carrier.

Maybe saying it will "brick" it was too much for you. Okay, it will again be locked to O2, it will not work for him in India, he will not even be able to use it as an iPod, but he can turn it on and look at it. Then he can wait for a hack to unofficially unlock it or he can contact O2 to officially unlock it.

Have any problem with this?

No, that is better. Too many overuse the term "brick", when in fact, it is referred to a phone that cannot be used in any way, due to damaging the phone's software so badly that it cannot be fixed, and sometimes involving hardware damage from the flashing process.

iphone 4 software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.