Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 is dead and unresponsive after update

After updating with iOS4.3, my phone got frozen with weird colors and flickering on the screen.
Initially I could switch on phone but within half-hour phone got frozen repeatedly.
Now the phone is completely blank and it doesn't respond at all. But if I connect to iTunes, it says "iTunes has detected iPhone in recovery mode, you must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes", and shows the restore option. When I hit restore, it tries to perform restore, and gives an error message "the iPhone could not be restored, an unknown error occurred (1600)"

I am traveling now and can't contact my service provider.
Please, somebody suggest a solution for this issue.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 11:03 AM

9 replies

Mar 23, 2011 11:43 AM in response to Mac-Medic

@ Lawrence Finch
the same thing happens, even if I disable antivirus

@ Mac Medic
Is this manual installation about jail breaking ?
I don't understand "holding the option key down when clicking on the restore button"
My phone is frozen and I can't access it physically. However, when connected to iTunes it says in recovery mode, though can not perform recovery.

Thanks

Mar 23, 2011 12:09 PM in response to Kallu

1. Try to get it into DFU mode and do a manual install again.

2. Try a different computer.

3. Try using RecBoot to kick it out of recovery mode and see if it will run.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file
Check out the new remodeled MacOSG website! 24-hour Apple-related news & support.
 MacOSG: An Apple User Group  iTunes: MacOSG Podcast  Follow us on Twitter: MacOSG

Jun 3, 2011 1:51 PM in response to Kallu

Hello Kallu,

This happened to me for months last year on and off, until at the end my phone finally died. I sent it back to apple and they sent the same unit back saying they could not detect a problem. Since then I havn't put any third party apps on my phone thinking it must be one of them which is to blame.

Its been two months and all is good but my phone has just died again 😟 I know if I send it back I'll get the same unit back, so I am going to do a quick movie showing the dead device to prove these faults. I'm not spending £500 on something that doesn't work! You might want to do the same in case apple mess you about as they've done to me.

Also, it could be worse! When mine died for some reason the vibrate function would not die....I had some strange looks when handing over the parcel at the post office!!

iPhone 4 is dead and unresponsive after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.