Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS resetting without Power button working?

The Power button does not work so can no switch phone off to reset. Is there another way to rest the phone? reason we want to do this is because the phone keeps declining to call with the error message failed call. We have full reception and taken sim card out and reinserted. Still not luck.

Cause of the problem might have its origins in having been dropped in the toilet 4 weeks ago. A day later I submerged in 96% alcohol for 3-4 mins and drained dried. Phone recovered after that but the power button failed a day or two after that. The rest is fine and the screen also recovered fully after about a week. Not something I would recommend but once dropped in water and not working alcohol is worth a try it seems.
However that does not solve our current problem with the phone and hoping for some insightful advise.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

MAC Pro 2006, MACBook 2007, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 8Gb Mac, 4Tb, Aperture, FCE, Apple TV, iPad

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 8:49 AM

RecBoot will kick it into recovery mode.

Basic troubleshooting steps.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file
Check out the new remodeled MacOSG website! 24-hour Apple-related news & support.
 MacOSG: An Apple User Group  iTunes: MacOSG Podcast  Follow us on Twitter: MacOSG

2 replies

Mar 29, 2011 2:54 AM in response to Mac-Medic

Excellent. BootRec worked perfectly as an alternative to the standby button not working to reset (?) the phone. It has two mini programs... one to put the phone into recovery mode (whatever that is) and the second to exit recovery mode. I cycled into and out of recovery mode (is that a reset? - like switching off and on again?) and that worked.

Thanks. Problem solved.

iPhone 3GS resetting without Power button working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.