Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS requires iTunes 10.xx or later but PowerBook G4 can't handle it

I recently got a replacement iPhone (mute button failed), but syncing failed on my PowerBook G4, stating iTunes 10.xx or newer must be installed. My computer won't install the software stating I need a new operating system. If I'm right, I'm max'd out with Mac OS X 10.4.11.

Any idea how I can make this work? The previous iPhone 3GS sync'd with no problem.

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2004 model

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 1:43 PM

7 replies

Mar 28, 2011 5:16 PM in response to redbuzzcut

Folks - thank you very much for the quick replies! My replacement iPhone is a 3G - not 4G. I was told by Apple a few years ago that I am not eligible for Leopard. Here are the specs on my machine:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,5
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0

Maybe this explains things better. For whatever reason, my last 3G phone, which was only one year old, sync'd fine with my operating system and current version of iTunes (9.2.1). While my PowerBook is 7 years old, I'd hate to think I have to buy a new computer just to get the operating system requirements for this iPhone replacement. It had a 3G and replaced it with a 3G.

Please tell me I don't need a new puter 😟

Mar 28, 2011 6:31 PM in response to redbuzzcut

redbuzzcut wrote:
Folks - thank you very much for the quick replies! My replacement iPhone is a 3G - not 4G. I was told by Apple a few years ago that I am not eligible for Leopard. Here are the specs on my machine:

This has nothing to do with the model of the phone; 3G, 3GS, or 4 (there is no 4G).
The issue is that iOS4.2 and later requires iTunes 10.2.1. All replacement iPhones have the latest version of iOS for that model of iPhone.

Apples does not keep stock of 3G's or 3GS's running old versions of iOS.

You have a 7 year old MAC and a 7 year old OS. You are well overdue for an update.

At this point, you have two choices:
1) Forget syncing and backing up your iPhone.
2) Upgrade/replace your Mac with something more current so you can sync and backup your iPhone.

Mar 29, 2011 6:37 AM in response to redbuzzcut

redbuzzcut wrote:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,5
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
Memory: 512 MB

The information you received is incorrect. Your PowerBook is more than capable of running Mac OS X 10.5, though it would certainly perform better if you added more RAM (as would 10.4, for that matter). The system requirements can be found here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3759

Regards.

iPhone 3GS requires iTunes 10.xx or later but PowerBook G4 can't handle it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.