Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

car chargers for iphone/ipod and also normal chargers can charge _ipad_ 2 l

car chargers for iphone/ipod and also normal chargers can charge ipad 2 latest generation?

PC, laptop

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 5:47 AM

6 replies

Apr 1, 2011 12:56 PM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:
Maybe if the iPad is off or asleep. The wall charger supplied with the iPad puts out 2 amps while iPod and iPhone charger put out 1/2 or 1 amp.

On the same subject, does anyone know the amp output from a desktop Intel iMac USB port? I've been charging my new iPad from it, but it doesn't seem particularly fast.

Dave

Apr 1, 2011 1:01 PM in response to Dave_K.

I just noticed this today as well! I just went through a full charge cycle and put it on my iMac to recharge. It's been on since 10 am and only 55% four hours later. Very s l o w.

On another note, there are outlets for the car that accept usb cables and you can connect your iPad cable to it and it will charge in the car. I bought a dual one for about $12 at Walmart and also found one today that came with my kids DS kit that puts out more amps so am going to use that as well. Very handy!

Apr 1, 2011 1:07 PM in response to Dave_K.

Seet his -> Powering Apple and third party peripherals through USB
"To meet requests for additional power from these Apple peripherals and devices, some Apple computers and displays can provide up to 1100 mA at 5 V through the port to which the Apple peripheral or device is connected. This power is available under certain conditions:

1 - An Apple peripheral device must be plugged directly into an Apple computer or display. Apple peripheral devices connected to hubs will not have access to extra power above the standard USB specification of 500 mA.
2 - Your Apple computer or display must be powered on and must be awake. If your Apple computer or display is asleep, all ports will provide a maximum of 500 mA at 5 V. If your Apple computer or display is powered off, no power will be provided.
3 - The port providing extra power is determined by the first Apple peripheral or device to connect to the Apple computer or display that requires power beyond 500 mA at 5 V. The remaining ports will continue to offer 500 mA at 5 V. Some Apple computer and displays may offer the ability to operate more than one USB port at 1100 mA at 5 V. On those computers, the second or third port is enabled when an appropriate device is connected.
4 - An Apple computer started up to Windows via BootCamp will not provide extra power."

Apr 1, 2011 1:25 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris-

Thanks- very good info! So, the output from my iMac is at most 1.1 amps or .5 amp. In both cases much less than the iPad dedicated 2-amp charger. I think I'll continue to do overnight charges from my iMac since there is no hurry and it's convenient for me. But for quick and/or travel charging, I'll use my new iPad 2 charger.

Thanks again!

Dave

car chargers for iphone/ipod and also normal chargers can charge _ipad_ 2 l

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.