Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Game Center, or keep it from eating my data

Living in Australia where 3G is wildly expensive I'd like to keep Game Center and the associated apps from eating my data.
I can't seem to log out, disable, or even find preferences for this useless app. Any suggestions? Besides entering Airplane mode when ever I want to play a game. Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 7:48 PM

9 replies

Apr 1, 2011 8:49 PM in response to Used to be kphinney

You should be able to sign out of Game Center. Go into the Game Center app. On the home screen of the app, it should say (near the bottom): "Account: [your email address]" If you click on that, you'll get a popup that allows you to sign out. You can also disable push notifications or Game Center in Settings>Notifications.

Hope this helps.

Apr 2, 2011 2:00 AM in response to Used to be kphinney

Used to be kphinney wrote:
I can't seem to log out, disable, or even find preferences for this useless app. Any suggestions? Besides entering Airplane mode when ever I want to play a game. Thanks.

Others have shown you how to logout of GC, but it's not a 'useless' app. In fact, it adds significantly to the fun of games - which you seem to enjoy - as you can see how your scores are doing compared to your friends. It adds that extra little challenge!

Apr 30, 2011 12:10 AM in response to Used to be kphinney

This doesn't solve the problem for me. The annoying thing is everytime i play a game that is connected to Game Center, i am asked to sign in and then another window pops up asking something else. It is petty but annoying none the less.

I would love to remove it or disable it completely.

Every other forum I have read on this subject has turned into people moaning about Apple imposing their apps blah blah. Please don't allow that to happen here. Just solutions and constructive suggestions.

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2012 7:12 AM in response to Wild Bunch Media

Yes! You CAN completely disable Game Center prompts and greetings, and still enjoy Game Center-enabled games.

1) If you have signed up for Game Center and now wish to opt out, launch Game Center. Click on your account name, and select "Sign Out" from the pop-up.

2) Launch "Settings" and select "Notifications." Under "In Notification Center" find and select Game Center.

3) Turn all the sliders to "OFF," and set "Alert Style" to "None."

That's it. You will have no more annoying alerts telling you you're not signed in to Game Center, and urging you to sign up. You will have no more annoying "Welcome back" greetings every time you play a Game Center game.

Disable Game Center, or keep it from eating my data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.