Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 4.3.1 firmware problems

I am having numerous problems with the new firmware upgrade. Initially it took 4 download and update sessions to actually completely install it. After that the iPhone wouldn't show in iTunes or in windows, several restores finally fixed that issue. Somewhere in that process any backup of my data was lost, annoying but replaceable. Now my current issue is I cannot sync anything to the iPhone. After connecting it to computer it starts to sync but while syncing music I get an error, The required disk cannot be found. I looked and the iPhone is not showing in computer. After this I uninstalled and reinstalled every piece of apple software on my computer, including apple mobile device service. This however solved nothing, iPhone still does not appear in computer panel but does in iTunes and will not sync anything.

Is anyone having similar issues or have found a solution to similar issues? May not be what apple would recommend but the next solution i can think of is downgrading the firmware to 4.3. The iPhone worked perfectly with 4.3 and has only ever had problems with 4.3.1, nothing else has changed. Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Iphone 4, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 10:34 AM

32 replies

Apr 2, 2011 11:10 AM in response to one0winged1angel

If you are having a problem with the upgrade process you are likely to have the same problems downgrading. There's something on your computer that is corrupting the installation of the upgrade file, and it will likely corrupt any large transfer to the phone.

Basics: Use a USB port directly on the computer, not a hub or a front port if your computer has both front and back ports. Disable your security software (firewall and antivirus). Disconnect any USB devices (such as external drives that do not plug in to power separately) that draw power or do high speed data transfers. the Restore the phone.

Apr 2, 2011 1:40 PM in response to one0winged1angel

Well after fighting with it for a few hours I finally fixed the issue, although I didn't find out exactly what the issue was. I simply restored the iPhone as a new iPhone rater than from a previous backup. All I can figure is something, somewhere got corrupted and never got fixed because it just kept getting put back on the phone.

Apr 4, 2011 2:20 PM in response to one0winged1angel

I upgraded my phone last night. Took several tries then completely wiped out my phone and sent it into restore. So had to start from scratch as it wouldn't even load from my back up with this firmware. Now my battery *****. You can watch it go down. It losses service every couple minutes says it's searching. It's slower than ever and EVERY call I have made has been dropped. I'm sooo mad right nowUser uploaded file Apple better fix this ASAP! I don't buy it's a computer issue either. I've not had problems with any other update just this one and it's on the sane pc I always use to update nothing changed.

Apr 4, 2011 2:55 PM in response to catgirl21

Yep the new firmware turned my 4 into a pos. It freezes and crashes 20+ times a day. Restored 4 times in 48 hours. Set it up as a new phone it's no better. The phone is a 3 day old brand new replacement for my failed 4 which had a microphone issue.
Old phone was fine bar the mic issue. I guess I'm off to see a so called genius again this weekend.

Apr 4, 2011 3:05 PM in response to wilkoj

my home button doesn't work properly after upgrading to 4.3.1 - i never had problems with that. it is definately no hardware-issue which i checked the following way: i restored my iphone 4 after it was not possible to use the home button properly any more. after having restored the phone it works quite good, as if it were fixed. but no: the home button works better but not as snappy as with iOS 4.3.

i will try to downgrade to 4.3 - 4.3.1 to me is buggy as ****.

Apr 4, 2011 4:30 PM in response to one0winged1angel

I got my 4 in October and had no issues until the 4.3.1 update. I just took mine to the Apple store and the guy did a diagnostic test and said that I either had a bad battery or a firmware problem. I asked questions but it has been my experience that they give very vague answers. I think that the update really screws up the firmware. On another note, the battery gauge is screwed up. It will got from 100% to 99% immediately after I unplug it. Sometimes it'll be on 61% and the instant I plug it in, it'll go to 64%.

Apr 5, 2011 8:06 AM in response to one0winged1angel

So my emails I sent out at 2pm yesterday are still sending at 8am this morning. Guess this means email on my phone is totally useless now. My parents updated their 4 and it's working fine. Guess it's a typical Apple issue. Some get screwed some don't. Same old same old. Having 4 iPhones and 8 iPods you'd think I'd be used to these things happening between iTunes update problems and the "i" gadgets. But man I'm so mad my phone is screwed up it's my lifeline during the day:(((. So unhappy

Iphone 4 4.3.1 firmware problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.