Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 + 3G without carrier plan

Can I buy an iPad2+3G without a 3G plan?? I want to be sure what the carrier is better for me, but I don't want to wait so long to buy this beauty gadget.

Message was edited by: JCALDERONO

Macbook 13" 2.4, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 11:56 AM

14 replies

Apr 4, 2011 2:48 PM in response to JCALDERONO

You will not have to sign up with a carrier when you buy the iPad. As red555 said, though, you will probably want the AT&T version; Verizon uses a different technology, CDMA, used only by a few cell carriers around the world. Check with the carriers in Colombia, or wherever you plan to use the iPad, to confirm that they use GSM (the technology AT&T uses) at the frequencies the iPad supports before you purchase.

Regards.

Apr 5, 2011 5:18 AM in response to varjak paw

My related question (taking advantage of your obvious expertise!!): I am moving to Germany from Canada and am considering taking advantage of significantly better prices here (in Canada) to purchase my iPad 2 3G. As long as I confirm that it handles GSM, I shouldn't have any trouble using it there once I establish service with a provider? Appreciate your confirmation--thanks!

Jul 24, 2011 4:35 AM in response to JCALDERONO

I just bought an ipad64 wifi+ 3G . I installed to our home wifi but no to the sim, basicallybecause I don't know how to open the slot to theism, it seems very delicate and I don't want to physically scratch my new gadget. Everything works fine but the FaceTime apps, it keep saying check your connection. I'm sure I'm connected as I am surfing the net and emailing from it, anyone can help?

iPad 2 + 3G without carrier plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.