Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 on 4.3.1 - Choppy UI animations.

Hi folks, I've seen some comments on this scattered around various forums, but there seem to be more people interested in saying those experiencing this issue are "seeing things".

Since updating my iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3.1, the device has become a vastly poorer user experience. App launch animations often don't even show when you press an app icon, this is most noticeable on games for some reason. Once an app has launched and is loaded into the memory however, the launch animation runs fine when returning to the home screen and relaunching. Also, when in an app like Photos or Camera, when you return to the home screen there is a clear juddering in the animation. There is no set list of apps which trigger the performance, it's utterly random in it's appearance. For example, Messages can load fluidly one moment, but close with a judder the next.

I have taken the following steps:

Restored via "Restore Button" in iTunes.
Restored via iTunes using DFU mode.
Switched off Ping.
Switched off Push in email settings.
Switched off Spotlight search.

Yet this choppy UI experience persists.

I phoned Applecare, who were very helpful, and they said it was not acceptable and set up a replacement at the Apple Store today. Obviously, the issue has to be witnessed by a Genius. It's not a case of "seeing things" or "seeing things you want to", as there is 6GB of free space left on my iPhone 4 and yet I could run this same iPhone 4 on 4.2 with only 800mb left and it displayed all the launch animations perfectly, regardless of the app in question.

The only reason I am taking up the offer of a replacement is because, hopefully, the refurb I receive will have 4.2 on it (or perhaps earlier, but that's a long shot). Suffice to say, if this is what each incremental update to iOS does to a device, and given what happened to the 3G with 4.0, I'll be leaving iOS 5 well alone.

Fluid UI beats new features for me.

iMac 2.4GHz C2D, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPhone 4 16GB 4.3.1

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 12:21 AM

27 replies

Apr 9, 2011 7:46 AM in response to WeegieMac

I have changed 4 times the phone in the Genius Bar and all had the lag problem, in 4.2.1, 4.3 and 4.3.1 all had this problem.I don't understand why Apple doesn't solve this problem because I prefer (like you) smoothness rather than new feautures. I wrote a feedback to them regarding this problem but no fix yet, I'll wait for 4.3.2 (if any) to see if they will fix this.

Apr 9, 2011 4:18 PM in response to darknwo

darknwo wrote:
I have changed 4 times the phone in the Genius Bar and all had the lag problem, in 4.2.1, 4.3 and 4.3.1 all had this problem.I don't understand why Apple doesn't solve this problem because I prefer (like you) smoothness rather than new feautures. I wrote a feedback to them regarding this problem but no fix yet, I'll wait for 4.3.2 (if any) to see if they will fix this.

ye this is a REAL problem. Apple is all about being the best user experience, however this is an extremely poor upgrade. Hopefully ios4.3.2 fixes this. There is NO excuse for a iphone 4 not being able to handle smooth animations, especially seeing as it can handle games like Real Racing 2 etc.

Apr 9, 2011 4:53 PM in response to WeegieMac

Yep, it's common. I have it on my iPod Touch 4G and others have it too. It's really bad for some reason and I saw it in the app store too. Ask the apple store if they know about it. If you can, show them the in-store devices as I bet they will be on 4.3.1 too.

If you get one with 4.2.1 then your lucky. If it's 4.3/4.3.1 then it likely will be just the same :/ I tried returning mine to Apple with this problem. They just said I'm running too many things. When I restored and was not even running everything.

Apr 10, 2011 5:46 AM in response to TechDudeGeorge

TechDudeGeorge wrote:
Yep, it's common. I have it on my iPod Touch 4G and others have it too. It's really bad for some reason and I saw it in the app store too. Ask the apple store if they know about it. If you can, show them the in-store devices as I bet they will be on 4.3.1 too.

If you get one with 4.2.1 then your lucky. If it's 4.3/4.3.1 then it likely will be just the same :/ I tried returning mine to Apple with this problem. They just said I'm running too many things. When I restored and was not even running everything.

iv tried restoring as new too and the problem is still there. (with no apps running).

Apr 12, 2011 9:56 AM in response to Laurie Pepper

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

New iPhone 4, not a refurb (82 serial like the retail box unit I replaced), and on 4.3 it's the same.

I even loaded apps onto the phone one at a time when I got home from the Apple Store, makes no difference.

4.3.2 is supposedly around the corner, so let's hope that this issue is being looked into and isn't left. Surely Steve and Forstall can feel and see the missing animation frames when using the OS from day to day.

Message was edited by: WeegieMac

Apr 13, 2011 3:09 PM in response to TechDudeGeorge

TechDudeGeorge wrote:
It's the iOS problem. Not your device. I had it and restored multiple times. It's 4.3/4.3.1 causing it. We just have to hope it's fixed in 4.3.2. If not, we all have to complain.

After reading through this thread, I would have to agree with you. I have the iP4 running 4.1, and I do get the lag issue when I swipe pages, using the slide bar to unlock the phone, sometimes even when apps launch (any app). But it's not all the time, and that I can't explain. But my battery life is good, no reboots, and no deleted texts. Wifi acts up intermittently.

Apr 14, 2011 12:03 PM in response to WeegieMac

I agree with all these posts so far.

Since "up"-grading from 4.2.1 to 4.3 (and 4.3.1), the intermittent laggy user-interface and undetected screen touches have made the whole experience very frustrating and unenjoyable. I would be embarrassed to demo my phone next to an Android right now, unless I claimed I had a 1st-gen iPhone.

An iPhone could have the greatest, fastest, 16-core CPU in the world, but it's worthless without a competent OS.

Please Apple -- Bring back the fun in my iFun (iPhone) User uploaded file

iPhone 4 on 4.3.1 - Choppy UI animations.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.