Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Division sign

Hi gang,

PLEASE tell me how to get a division sign (÷) on my iPad keyboard.

Any help appreciated, thanks,
Dan P.

iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 10:31 AM

hey guys, i use this solution for inserting a division symbol on an iOS device.... first you need to have an apple wireless keyboard. now, instead of activating a secondary keyboard (Japanese) as stated in some of the above post, go into settings and go to keyboard shortcuts, once there create a new keyboard shortcut, but here is where the actual wireless keyboard comes into play,use your apple wireless keyboard to input the text, in the phrase entry field use the shortcut (option + ?) this will insert the actual division symbol ( ÷ ) in the shortcut entry field input what TWO characters work for you, i use ( // ) remember you have to use TWO.

this tip wil work for any of the mathematical symbols you need to use, but are not built into iOS

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2012 10:31 AM in response to Dan Perkins

hey guys, i use this solution for inserting a division symbol on an iOS device.... first you need to have an apple wireless keyboard. now, instead of activating a secondary keyboard (Japanese) as stated in some of the above post, go into settings and go to keyboard shortcuts, once there create a new keyboard shortcut, but here is where the actual wireless keyboard comes into play,use your apple wireless keyboard to input the text, in the phrase entry field use the shortcut (option + ?) this will insert the actual division symbol ( ÷ ) in the shortcut entry field input what TWO characters work for you, i use ( // ) remember you have to use TWO.

this tip wil work for any of the mathematical symbols you need to use, but are not built into iOS

Sep 8, 2017 10:01 AM in response to Dan Perkins

If you cannot get the Japanese Fifty keyboard for Apple IPhone IOS
I verified I can get this Division Symbol in my Japanese Kana keyboard

Same Basic steps that Dan Perkins provided but in Kana Keyboard
(once you have it installed):
(1) Hit ABC lower right

(2) Hit *123 (the asterisk is the 'star' symbol)

(3) Beneath the 5 is the Division Symbol

(4) Lightly hold the 5 key until a Symbol map shows up

(5) Select the Division Symbol

When you are done, explore the Kana "Emoticons" Menu

lower left first screen (^o^)

Apr 12, 2011 7:06 PM in response to Dan Perkins

It's not on any of their basic keyboards, and I've never heard tell of a layout where you can call it up - remember that it takes some real digging into Symbols to call it up on a Mac or Windows system, as outside of elementary school it's rarely used.

I suppose a programmer could include it in an app - I know they have some freedom to choose custom keyboard layouts, but I'm not sure if they can include symbols such as this.

Apr 13, 2011 2:22 AM in response to Dan Perkins

Dan Perkins wrote:
Hi gang,

PLEASE tell me how to get a division sign (÷) on my iPad keyboard.

Piece of cake: 😉

Go into Settings / General / Keyboard, then ...

1) International Keyboards
2) Add New Keyboard
3) Choose Japanese Fifty Key
4) Run your application and select this Japanese keyboard
5) On the left side tap the *123 key
6) Your ÷ sign is the 2nd character of the 2nd row

By tapping and holding the key with the globe symbol at the bottom left you can easily switch between keyboards.

At least this worked on my iPad 2 with iOS 4.3.1 - just for the record...

Apr 13, 2011 3:42 AM in response to Dan Perkins

Dan Perkins wrote:
Thanks Apfelwurm, that worked great. Not sure why the Japanese keyboard has it but not the American one. Odd.

I'm not aware of a western keyboard that can generate this character with one keystroke.

On my laptop - running Windows 7 - I need to call up the Character Map or type Alt+0247 to get the ÷ sign.

Thanks again.

You're welcome!

Sep 14, 2012 7:00 PM in response to Apfelwurm

Apfelwurm, you referred to the “Japanese Fifty Key” keyboard. This is not among the keyboard choices on my iPad. (I do have the latest iOS installed, which is 5.1.1 as of 9/14/12.) There were two Japanese keyboards -- Romaji and Kana -- so I chose both. Neither had a division symbol that I was able to find.

My only solution to this problem thus far is to google for a division symbol and copy & paste it!

Sep 14, 2012 7:11 PM in response to RubyHeart1961

CORRECTION: I found it! I was not accessing the Jaoanese keyboards correctly, but when I figured it out, I found the division symbol on the numerical page of the Kana keyboard. So hooray! But wow, how silly that Apple neglected to include such a common symbol on the U.S. keyboard (and U.K.). It's so obvious it should be an alternate character with the lower case "x" key.

Division sign

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.