Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4 sideways texting

how do I unlock my keyboard on iphone 4 so it will allow me turn it sideways and use the larger keyboard for texting etc.

I have obviously done something, because I used to be able to do this.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.2

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 8:47 AM

is your horizontal orientation lock on? check by double-pressing the Home button (while you're on the home screen) and swiping your finger to the right. This will reveal the iPod controls as well as the orientation lock.

12 replies

Apr 18, 2011 8:49 AM in response to davidfromcranbrook

Sounds like you might have turned on Orientation Lock. Do you have circular arrow with a padlock in it next to the clock on the toolbar on top of your iPhone interface? If you do you can easily turn this feature off by pushing the home button twice, which brings up the running application list, and swiping to the right. This should bring up the orientation lock feature as well as your iPod controls. Tap the gray circular arrow icon to enable or disable the lock feature.

Once disabled the keyboard should properly work in landscape mode.

Jan 5, 2012 12:54 AM in response to davidfromcranbrook

I was having the same issue just now, just the messaging app wouldn't rotate, safari and other apps were rotating fine. I managed to fix it without reseting the phone, by killing/closing the 'Messaging' app

1. Double click the home button.
  2. Scroll across until you find the 'Messaging' app, and Hold your finger on it for three seconds.
  3. When the red 'close' icon appears in the top corner, press it.
  4. That will close down the messaging app.

Afterwards start the messaging app back up and it should be rotating correctly 🙂

Iphone 4 sideways texting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.