Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does engraving IPad2 void warranty?

I'm concered about the light leakage issue and want to know if my IPad 2 is engraved will Apple replace it.

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 10:54 AM

7 replies

Apr 23, 2011 11:27 AM in response to johnfromfairfield

Copied from this link in regards to an exchange under warranty.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=ipad

Will the custom laser engraving on my iPad be preserved?

If your original iPad was personalized by Apple and you arrange service by calling Apple Technical Support, you will be asked if you want your replacement iPad to be personalized with the same text. iPad personalization is not available in all countries or through Express Replacement Service. If your original iPad was custom laser engraved by another company, your replacement iPad will not be personalized.

It appears having the iPad laser engraved by another company does not void Apple's iPad warranty but if such an iPad is exchanged under warranty, Apple will not re-engrave the replacement iPad.

Jan 11, 2012 2:35 AM in response to johnfromfairfield

The answers seem a bit vague around keeping your engraving if your product needs to be warrantied, I have some recent experience with this, so I'll try to clarify.

If apple engraved your product you WILL always have an option (see details below) to keep it if there are issues with it during the warranty period.

However there is a catch. Apple offers a cool "Express Replacement" program where they immediately send you a replacement (credit card hold required) and you just send the old one back. You can still do this if your iPad is engraved, but if you do, the replacement WILL NOT be engraved. With this program you can have a replacement within days.

If your product is engraved I don't think they have the options of just erasing the engraving so they can't just, fix it and refurb it if needed, so they want to first be able to "try" to fix it. If they can fix it you will get the original one back. If they can't fix it THEN they will send out a new engraved one. All you have to do is take your iPad to a near by UPS Store with your Repair ID number and they will do all the work of packaging and sending it for you. With this program you will be out of an iPad for 2 to 3 weeks! (much longer then the "Express Replacement", but you ensure you get one back engraved!)

Does engraving IPad2 void warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.