Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Does anyone know how much it costs for Apple to replace a cracked iPad screen? I know that it's not covered under my warranty. Yikes! Thank You!

Help please : )

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on May 5, 2011 9:05 AM

17 replies

May 5, 2011 9:30 AM in response to etresoft

Yes, but not for free. A cracked screen is out of warranty. If memory serves me correctly, the last time I saw a post on this, the person said Apple was charging $399 to replace a unit with a cracked screen. I've also seen some posts where someone said after going to the Genius Bar and being "uber" nice about it, some lucky people have been given a one time free replacement.

So to the OP, make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your Apple store. Go in with a I'm so sorry attitude and be as nice as humany possible and maybe they will take pity on you and do something truly nice......

May 5, 2011 11:43 AM in response to joanfromrogers

From -> Service Answer Center - iPad

My iPad is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?

Apple offers two service options for iPads that are not eligible for warranty service.

1. Battery Replacement Service

If your iPad requires service only because the battery's ability to hold an electrical charge has diminished, please refer to the Battery Replacement tab on the left.
  2. Out-of-Warranty Service

If you own an iPad that is ineligible for warranty service but is eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service, Apple will replace your iPad with an iPad that is new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability for the Out-of-Warranty Service fee listed below.
iPad Wi-Fi
iPad 2 Wi-Fi
Out-of-Warranty Service Fee
16GB $269
32GB $299
64GB $349
iPad Wi-Fi + 3G
iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G
Out-of-Warranty Service Fee
16GB $319
32GB $369
64GB $419

A $6.95 shipping fee will be added if you arrange service online or by calling Apple Technical Support. All fees are in US dollars and are subject to local tax.

For example, an iPad that has failed due to damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including liquid damage, catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPad is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. Replacement iPads have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare Protection Plan for iPad coverage, whichever is longer. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPad and Apple's Repair Terms And Conditions for further details.

Back to

May 5, 2011 4:21 PM in response to Chris CA

Chris CA wrote:

an iPad that has failed due to damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including liquid damage, catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

In other words, anything mentioned in this thread.

May 6, 2011 8:18 PM in response to joanfromrogers

So- what happened? I was standing up this week, not paying too much attention and it and the smart cover slipped- just a little dent at first- next day a 1.5 inch crack- two days after, a gash coming from the smaller crack, the whole length of the screen :(

Was the genius helpful? I feel so bummed - I'm going to check with Amex, too- let me know?

Jun 6, 2011 7:40 PM in response to joanfromrogers

joanfromrogers - did you have any luck getting your screen fixed? I have only had my Ipad2 a little over a week and my daughter dropped it today and it got a slight crack in the upper right corner 😟 I think going into the store is the best but I live far from an Apple store so I am not sure what the best course of action is going to be.

Help! Does anyone know how much it costs for Apple to replace a cracked iPad screen? I know that it's not covered under my warranty. Yikes! Thank You!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.