Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad battery runs down fast.

Hoping you have seen my other posts I have the details there. Anyway my iPad 2 running iOS 4.3 has some major battery issues. The battery goes from 73% to 64% within a minute or two. Any suggestions? Happy solving and point earning

iPad 2, iOS 4.3

Posted on May 9, 2011 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2011 3:19 PM

Well I can tell you that's not normal. Mine runs down about 7-10% every hour which would be on target for the advertised discharge time.

I'm guessing you've already tried a restore? Haven't seen the other posts i'm afraid.

13 replies

May 12, 2011 5:56 AM in response to Beige1997

Once a month, I let my iPad run down until it shuts off due to low battery. You need to do that to recalibrate the battery meter. Also check that you don't have some new apps that keep running in the background, sucking electricity as they may constantly access the web or do other tasks. I periodically (several times per day) bring up the recently used apps tray and shut down all but the most important ones that I want kept in memory. All that helps my perceived battery consumption.

May 12, 2011 6:39 AM in response to Beige1997

Using the battery level meter in this manner is comparable to using your car's gas gauge to calculate miles per gallon.

1. Charge the battery overnight using the charger that came with the iPad. Do not use an iPhone charger. Do not use an iPod charger.

2. Operate the iPad until it shuts down automatically. Ignore any "low battery level" warnings that occur.

How long did it operate?

May 12, 2011 2:46 PM in response to Beige1997

davidfromwinfield wrote:

E-mail, Internet, Music, YouTube, and Games

If on top of those things you have set the brightness and/or the sound volume to a high level, you shouldn't be surprised that your iPad's battery runs down faster than for a low impact iPad user.

You will also find some useful battery tips here:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

May 17, 2011 1:17 AM in response to Beige1997

Hi davidfromwinfeield,

You can extend your iPad's battery life by -

1.Which case or cover are you using because the rechargeable Lithium-based battery in the iPad is sensitive to heat, and it lasts longer when it's cooled.

2.Keep your iPad updated as software updates usually fix bugs or odd behaviours of your Product.

3.Lock your iPad when you aren't using it.

4.Set your screen brightness to dim(minimum).

5.Turn off wifi and 3g services if you don't want them.

6.See which apps you are using because there are two types of apps that are particlularly hard on your iPad batteries 1.Games that never let your screen dim and 2.Some location based services.

Nov 8, 2011 2:33 PM in response to Beige1997

is your problem been resolved, i've been had the same issues

did u try this

double tap on HOME button, at the bottom you'll get list of all apps running in background

hold one of the apps there till it starts to toggle, once that happens there will be a ( - ) symbol

on the apps, just minimise all of them as that will free up your ipads RAM memory and then try the soft reset as advised by other forum users

Hopefully that should fix the problem as it helped one of my colleagues, but didn't fix the issue yet on my ipad 2

i'll be taking it an apple store

Santosh (India)

iPad battery runs down fast.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.